So Confused

Drew Willings

• Members
    • View Profile
So Confused
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
Okay I feel like an idiot but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get sector maps for VRC.  I have just recently discovered VATSIM and decided that I would like to learn how to be an ATC.  I haven't taken any exams yet but I was really wanting to just observe in VRC to get a feet of what to expect.  I went to your training center and followed the instructions to observe in VRC. It referenced me to download the maps from the VATUSA website which I attempted to do.  I was trying to acquire the maps for KMCI or KSTL.  I searched using those codes, found the airports and began to individually download each pdf.  After which I copied them all into a subfolder into the VRC folder. I then went to File, Open Sector and low and behold the program doesn't recognize the pdf's. What am I doing wrong? I am so confused.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
So Confused
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »
Hi Drew. For the sector files for VRC you normally need to find them at the facility responsible for the airport(s). In your case, both of the airports fall under Kansas City ARTCC, which has a new website under construction at http://www.kcartcc.com/index.php. You may try contacting the Air Traffic Manager, Wes Miles, at atm[at]kcartcc.com to see if he can provide you a link to the files you need. I haven't looked at the VATUSA Training Material, but for sector, pof, and alias files you can expect to find them on the individual ARTCC websites, which are linked at the bottom of the VATUSA homepage.

Drew Willings

• Members
    • View Profile
So Confused
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »
Quote from: Kenneth Haught
Hi Drew. For the sector files for VRC you normally need to find them at the facility responsible for the airport(s). In your case, both of the airports fall under Kansas City ARTCC, which has a new website under construction at http://www.kcartcc.com/index.php. You may try contacting the Air Traffic Manager, Wes Miles, at atm[at]kcartcc.com to see if he can provide you a link to the files you need. I haven't looked at the VATUSA Training Material, but for sector, pof, and alias files you can expect to find them on the individual ARTCC websites, which are linked at the bottom of the VATUSA homepage.

Thank you for this clarification!

Wesley Miles

• Mentors
    • View Profile
So Confused
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
Drew,

Ken mentioned something I forgot to tell you in the email... most ARTCC's will have these files readily available on their websites.  VATSIM requires public access to these files for reasons such as yours.  Kansas City ARTCC has just renewed effort in completing our site, which will have the files publicly available when it's complete.

In the meantime, if there's anything you need, simply send me or Jason  ( datm[at]kcartcc.com ) an email.