Choosing an ARTCC

Ray Browell

• Members
    • View Profile
Choosing an ARTCC
« on: June 10, 2018, 11:50:36 PM »
Seems simple right? Well, not so much I guess.

Hello guys. I am new here. I sent a message to ZKC and they promply replied and I got on over here and logged in. I read the Join us and got started. I went to the ZKC CBT and there was nothing there. I chose the first one in the list instead and completed the entire first block for S1. Come to find out, it was not for Kansas. I requested an exam for the first artcc on the list. Sorry! So now I have a pending test for an ARTCC that was not my original choice. Can you all cancel that one please?

So, can someone please send me in the right direction. I feel a bit blushed in the face at such a rookie move. But hey, who ever was first on the list has an awesome CBT block 1! Be proud of yourselves!  ;D

In the mean time, I will get on ZKC's Facebook and send them a message as well and let them know what is up. I was just trying to get in the door and be a leader not a follower and it cost me 2 hours of CBT's but hey, it was fun!

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing an ARTCC
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »
Ray-

The CBT process fortunately doesn't create any exam requests on its own -- An instructor has to go hit some buttons in order to get an exam assigned.  I'd suggest you hop on the ZKC Teamspeak (you likely received some "welcome" information including the Teamspeak information when you transferred in to ZKC) and have a discussion with them on the next-steps.

The larger issue I see is that I don't see you assigned to ZKC.  The two things you'll need to do in order to get assigned to ZKC is take the Basic ATC exam, pass it, and then request a transfer to ZKC.

The exams may be found here: https://www.vatusa.net/exam

And then you can request a transfer here: https://www.vatusa.net/my/profile

Odin Morris

• ZID Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
Ray,

The first CBT on the list is the VATUSA CBT. Some ARTCC's utilize this in some of their training, while others utilize their own, or use something completely different. After looking, Kansas City does not have any CBT's on VATUSA. What I recommend you doing is sending an email to your Training Administrator, he will know what resources KC uses for training.

I also want to say welcome! VATUSA is a community full of aviation enthusiasts. I hope you enjoy it.
Odin Morris
Deputy Air Traffic Manager
vZID - Indianapolis ARTCC

Ray Browell

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
Thanks fellas! I will get with them ASAP. Thank you very much. I'll get that exam done and then request the transfer. In the mean time before I take the exam I will email them as well and let them know I did the CBT Block 1 and hopefully get the ball rolling.

It has been ages since I have controlled and am eager to get going again. I started way back in 2002 on the Zone and moved over to eSkyWorld and have bounced around over the years. A LOT of fun times over the years.

Thanks again fellas for the information and the oh so fuzzy warm welcome!  ;D

Matthew Kramer

• ZLA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »
Thanks fellas! I will get with them ASAP. Thank you very much. I'll get that exam done and then request the transfer. In the mean time before I take the exam I will email them as well and let them know I did the CBT Block 1 and hopefully get the ball rolling.

It has been ages since I have controlled and am eager to get going again. I started way back in 2002 on the Zone and moved over to eSkyWorld and have bounced around over the years. A LOT of fun times over the years.

Thanks again fellas for the information and the oh so fuzzy warm welcome!  ;D

Now there are some names I haven't heard in a long time.
Matthew Kramer
ZLA DATM

Ray Browell

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
Ha ha ha I know right! Man I was serious into eSky. I was putting in 200 + hours a month of controlling/flying and working a very full time job. I ran one of the most popular VA's over there (well it was for a while) Thunder Aviation (along with a couple other fellas) and then I ran Midwest Express. I was MWE_001.

I still went to the zone and controlled over there just to relax and have fun. Serious good times. I hope it will be over here too.