Newbie Stuff

Norman Henderson

• Members
    • View Profile
Newbie Stuff
« on: December 15, 2010, 05:18:56 PM »
Hi All,

I just joined and want to get in there and go as it were. I am a licensed single engine land pilot with about 100 hrs. Haven't flown in the real world in many years. I want to learn the correct procedures in and around ATC covered areas, but want to work my way into it. Not really interested in a KJFK to KORD start.

A couple of questions if I may...

Is it ok to fly within VATSIM through areas that do not have real personnel coverage and if so do I just fly within FSX as usual?

I see on servinfo areas that have no ATC or Tower/Gnd coverage and want to work my way into working with a tower. I would like to start out with a simple plane VFR going from uncontolled airport to a controlled airport or versa visa. Even flying in the real world the communication procedures are daunting so I just want to get it right and not bollux up the works. Am currently trying to read through as much of the new pilot info on VATSIM as time allows.

Anyway, I tend to ramble, thanks in advance for any help.

Norman

Richard Parrish

• Members
    • View Profile
Newbie Stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »
Quote from: Norman Henderson
Hi All,

I just joined and want to get in there and go as it were. I am a licensed single engine land pilot with about 100 hrs. Haven't flown in the real world in many years. I want to learn the correct procedures in and around ATC covered areas, but want to work my way into it. Not really interested in a KJFK to KORD start.

A couple of questions if I may...

Is it ok to fly within VATSIM through areas that do not have real personnel coverage and if so do I just fly within FSX as usual?

I see on servinfo areas that have no ATC or Tower/Gnd coverage and want to work my way into working with a tower. I would like to start out with a simple plane VFR going from uncontolled airport to a controlled airport or versa visa. Even flying in the real world the communication procedures are daunting so I just want to get it right and not bollux up the works. Am currently trying to read through as much of the new pilot info on VATSIM as time allows.

Anyway, I tend to ramble, thanks in advance for any help.

Norman

Norman, great accomplishment being a real world pilot "Congrats!"  Also your question/concerns are nicely stated.  KZLA has a wonderful pilot exams program for all simulated pilots to hone their simulated piloting skills.  The exams range from basic VFR flight pattern to complex IFR charts; which involves flying a DME ARC to an uncontrolled airfield, and other challenges.

Graduates find themselves among the best simulated pilots among all VATSIM pilots.  Your online communication and pilot skills will become readily noticed by you and those you communicate with.  Enjoy the pilot exam challenges and I look forward to you flying in my control airspace.

Richard
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sir_knight57/ZOA_DATMPhoto2.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
vZKC Training Administrator - I3