ALL PILOTS: KORD Update (FREE)

Jon Bowles

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »
Hello Everyone!

I have noticed a significant amount of pilots and controllers that are frustrated when it comes to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.  When Flight Simulator X, and FS2004:ACOF (a.k.a - FS9), was released everything was fine, however, several months later Chicago began its O'Hare "Modernization Plan1".  What is this?

Good Question!  This is to improve traffic, both in the air and on the ground, at KORD.  ORD was built back in 1942-43 and was originally built for the construction of Douglas C-54's during WWII2.  By the early 60's ORD became what Microsoft Flight Simulator has depicted.  This was fine for the operation of ORD, but has very quickly become very dangerous, as the amount of traffic and general size of aircraft have grown in the last couple years.

Following experimental airport design, at Atlanta's Hartsfield International, Chicago began to modernize ORD.  This is where the problems begin.  All pilots and controllers trying to follow real world procedures and charts, find it difficult to do so, as MS FS, still depicts the old airport layout.

For this reason, I have updated KORD, and give it to the Flight Simulation community for FREE!  The only thing I ask, is to be credited for the work, and if used commercially, to be contacted and credited for the work.

As of the update, RWY 32L had its ILS system removed, as the crews were moving it to its new position.  Current IAPs now, again, show that RWY 32L does indeed have an ILS approach.  I will fix this in several days.  For now, everything else is current as of 1210.  Including all Terminal Way points, taxiways, RNAV, ILS and Transitions.  All frequencies and map changes reflect in the GPS, as well.

The file has its own installer, so all you need to do is run it from the link.  If anyone has any questions, or spots errors in the airport, please feel free to contact me via email, PM, my forums or this post.

PLEASE NOTE - THIS FILE HAS NOT BEEN TESTED ON FS9!  IT WAS UPDATED FOR FSX ONLY!  HOWEVER IT SHOULD WORK ON FS9!  IF FS9 USERS COULD TRY IT, AND REPORT BACK, IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

FILE LOCATION
KORD UPDATE - MAKE SURE YOU CLICK THE LINK FOR KORD UPDATE.  THE OTHER LINK DOES NOT INCLUDE KORD!

Jon Bowles - 1207409
vZAU ARTCC
Founder Chicago Flights
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://chicagoflightsfsx.com

1 & 2 - www.wikipedia.org - KORD

Wesley Miles

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
Very nice Jon!  The only problem I get, when trying to visit the link, is that I'm trying to access a restricted area.  

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
Yes, a wonderful idea for a wonderful idea.  Having to register to get it, though, is not often appreciated in this community.  Your offer of providing good scenery is gracious; would you be willing to extend that graciousness by extending the scenery to our community without having to register?  Thanks for considering it.

Jon Bowles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
Quote from: Don Desfosse
Having to register to get it, though, is not often appreciated in this community.

Well, my apologies, I thought that I had changed that?!?!  If you had to register to get it I would have mentioned that, but seeing as I am GIVING it to the flight sim/vatsim community, I would not have those restrictions put on there...  

Stand by, I will fix the link...

Jon Bowles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
All fixed!   , I know what happened!  A couple weeks ago I was messing with our Gallery, and messed something up, so I restored the website.  Obviously the wrong restore point...  

But there...  It is fixed now, and EVERYONE may download and use it ( without registration), as per the original post's terms...  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:10:52 PM by Jon Bowles »

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:50 AM »
Super, much appreciated, Jon!