vERAM Tutorials

Owen Bliss

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
    • vZJX Website
vERAM Tutorials
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
I am beginning C1 training and I have found a new love, vERAM. Are there any specific advantages when using vERAM rather then VRC when working center. Obviously both software's have there advantages, and disadvantages. As well, are there any good video tutorials about vERAM, and its features? My instructor has thought me a lot about how to use vERAM, but I'm interested in its specific features that VRC does not have.
Owen Bliss | Event Coordinator
Virtual Jacksonville ARTCC
Liberty University School Of Aeronautics
Professional Aviation Major
Real world IR/CPL

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Re: vERAM Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
I am beginning C1 training and I have found a new love, vERAM. Are there any specific advantages when using vERAM rather then VRC when working center. Obviously both software's have there advantages, and disadvantages. As well, are there any good video tutorials about vERAM, and its features? My instructor has thought me a lot about how to use vERAM, but I'm interested in its specific features that VRC does not have.

vERAM has more accurate simulation of radar coverage, more realistic map depiction than the sector file format, and more accurate display of information such as weather, altimeters, etc.

From a purely day to day use standpoint, the most useful difference between vERAM and VRC is probably the ability to extend and retract target vector lines on the fly. Cycling between 1/2/4/8 minute vectors is something we do countless times a day to evaluate traffic situations in the enroute environment, and all other things equal I’d consider that reason enough to use vERAM over VRC.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Matthew Kramer

• ZLA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
Using vERAM to work top down at my facility is a difficult pain in the ass that even the nerdiest and most seasoned among us avoid doing. It is not well suited to terminal operations, though it can be done. Otherwise Dhruv mentioned how much more clearly information is provided.
Matthew Kramer
ZLA DATM

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 05:50:54 PM »
Using vERAM to work top down at my facility is a difficult pain in the ass that even the nerdiest and most seasoned among us avoid doing. It is not well suited to terminal operations, though it can be done. Otherwise Dhruv mentioned how much more clearly information is provided.

If, and it’s a big if, you have enough screen real-estate to run a few windows, it gets a lot easier.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Matthew Kramer

• ZLA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »

If, and it’s a big if, you have enough screen real-estate to run a few windows, it gets a lot easier.

Granted, between second and third windows and an abundance of shortcuts you can do it. Here's hoping vERAM gets some kind of small D-Side update so you can better manipulate flightplans and see filed ones.
Matthew Kramer
ZLA DATM