New Director of the United States Division

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
Team USA,

I am thrilled, privileged, humbled and honored that I have been selected to serve you as Director of one of the finest Divisions in VATSIM.  

Thank you all for the good wishes and the support.  I really appreciate that.  Thank you, in advance, for your trust, confidence and continued support going forward; I'm going to need that -- we all are -- so please make sure there's more where that came from.  

I'd like to thank Gary Millsaps for his leadership at the helm of VATUSA over the past 3 years (as well as his several years in his first tour of duty).  He brought a tremendous amount of knowledge and leadership to the table, did an admirable job as Division Director, and then came back to do it again a second time!  As an ATM, I got only a slight peek into some of the behind the scenes work that goes on, and the amount of blood, sweat and tears, dedication and passion that Gary brought to the table is amazing.

One of the questions I asked when being presented this opportunity was what comments, suggestions and ideas the folks that expressed interest in the position had.  It was excellent to hear that the vast majority of folks were very much aligned with my thoughts and feelings; focus on an innovative and more-standardized training program, retaining talent at all levels, instituting a staff that will help move the Division forward, and growth were a few of the main themes.  It's incredibly important for all of VATUSA to align behind a common vision and move it forward.  These themes are my primary focus right now, and I anticipate plenty of feedback in the coming days and weeks that will help me know what our Division needs to focus on and what our priorities should be.

I also read (and re-read several times) the thread on the qualities that are needed, wanted and expected out of the Division Director.  The qualities listed in the thread are spot on; I have taken your input to heart, and will do everything I can to meet or exceed your expectations.

When this opportunity was presented to me last night, one of the things I was briefed on was the caliber of the applicants, so I feel good that there are a good number of very good people that were willing to (continue to) donate their valuable time and talents to benefit VATUSA and all of VATSIM.  I was also briefed that it was an extremely close choice between the top two candidates.  I asked two questions -- what was the deciding factor, and who was the other final candidate; I figured we could use all the strength that we could get to move the Division in the right direction as quickly as possible.  I love the fact that I was selected based on losing rock, paper, scissors!  At least it was the best two out of three....  ;-)  But I was glad to hear that the other top candidate is indeed a strong leader, and am thrilled to announce that Bob Carmona will be joining the leadership team as our Deputy Director.  Bob most recently served as the Miami ARTCC Air Traffic Manager, and led a team that continued Miami's fine traditions of excellence.

I will be, in the coming few days, asking for applications for those who would like to step up their game and contribute their time and talent in a staff role at VATUSA.  There is an old adage out there, and it is increasingly true in our world that seems to get busier and more complicated every day:  "Many hands make light work."  The more people that step up and volunteer their time and talents, the easier it is on everyone who is trying to make a positive contributions, at all levels of the organization.  It's also important to me not to "steal" so much from the ARTCCs to leave them without enough bench strength to continue on, but it's also important to all of us to have the right talent in the right role to work on making things better and more efficient for all of the ARTCCs.  The Division staff works for the membership.  Our role is to break down barriers and make life easier and better at all levels.  Nothing is ever perfect, but that's what this Division leadership will endeavor to do.  Given the right people in the right roles, aligned to a common vision and goals, we can and will do great things.

This is an incredible Division, infused with extraordinary talent at all levels.  Let's continue to develop that talent, nurture and deliver excellence and fun, both to ourselves as well as to everyone who comes into contact with VATUSA.  I look forward to working with this great team in my new role!

Don Desfosse
Division Director, VATUSA
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Mike Willey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
After working with Don for several years I can tell you there is a lot of great energy, experience and attitude going into helping our hobby. There is no better choice for VATUSA.. Congratulations Don..
Mike Willey - WY
vZBW Training Administrator (Retired)
[email protected]

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »
Congrats Don!  Can't wait to see what changes you have up your sleeve!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:30:21 PM by Daniel Hawton »

Nils Hoefnagel

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://denartcc.org
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
Good choice.

Congrats Don! My team and I are looking forward to working with you in the director's chair.
Nils Hoefnagel
ZDV ATM

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
Let me once again add my congratulations not only to Don this time but to Bob Carmona as well.  Having crossed paths with him before I know him to have a strong work ethic and a dedication to what we do that can only enhance the Division.

So congratulations to both Don and Bob, and here's to clear skies for the Division!
Ira Robinson

Charan Kumar

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
Congrats to Don and Bob, looking fwd to the new vectors this team is going to take us in.
Charan Kumar
-----------------
ZOA C1/Oceanic Certified @ ZAK/P1
Hit Squad Member

Pan Lalas

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »
Welcome to the Machine Bob!
What a great duet.
Pan Lalas - 936402
VP Pilot Training
VATSIM Board of Governors

Davor Kusec

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
Excellent introduction! Congrats to you and Bob and look forward to what the future holds for the division.
Davor Kusec DK
Air Traffic Director - Northeast Region VATUSA
VATSIM Supervisor

Zach Spitler

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 05:24:19 PM »
Congrats Don!!
[img]http://www.net-flyer.net/indicators/1198180.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Michael Mund-Hoym

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
What an excellent choice! Good luck in your new position Don. Congratulations!

Dylan Lundberg

• ZME Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fly High Virtual
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »
Congratulations Don! Couldn't have made a Better Choice!!
Dylan Lundberg
Air Traffic Manager
Memphis ARTCC
Just here to grill
[Exiled VATUSA9, Former ATM(x2), DATM, TA(x2), EC(x2)]

Michael Mund-Hoym

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
Congratulations also to you as VATUSA2, Bob! Well done!

Manuel Manigault

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 06:02:20 PM »
Congratulations Don and Bob!
Mani Manigault
Vice President, Americas Region
VATSIM

Wesley Miles

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
Excellent choice in both spots.  Congrats guys!  I'm excited at the thought of pressing forward under your leadership!
Wes Miles
Division General Manager
VATUSA

Bob Carmona

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
Team USA,

Congrats to Don! I don't think a better person could have been chosen for our Division. Don brings a lot of experience and dedication to VATUSA. He has some great ideas and visions that  will help improve the VATSIM experience for all of us.

I would like to thank Gary Millsaps for his dedication and service to our Division. In my eyes, he always did a great job. In the many dealings with Gary I had, I always found him to be very polite and personable. I will always admire his dedication and passion to our hobby.

I am thrilled and honored to have been selected to serve our Division as Deputy Director. I feel VATUSA is the finest Division in VATSIM. I am very much looking forward to helping Don lead us into an even brighter future.

I don't think of the rock, paper, scissors match as a loss at all. I too was asked the same questions as Don was in regards to what direction I feel the Division should go. Though I pretty much already knew how Don feels about things, this confirmed it to me. Don has the same ideas and suggestions about our direction as I do. More importantly though, these are the same ideas that have been shared by many of the ATM's during a poll for qualifications of a new director. With that in mind, it seems that we are going to be off to a good start.

I have spent most of today knocking the dust off my desk. I have a new coffee pot and am now ready to get down to the business of helping to put our Division at the top of the game. As Don said, the first order of business will be to begin taking applications and filling the vacant positions in the VATUSA staff. Don and I both agreed that our number one priority would be to have a fully staffed and active Division staff. Our top goal is to make Division staff as accessible to members as possible. Immediately after that we will begin implementing ideas to make our Division even better. I look forward to working with all of the VATUSA staff and also to working with the many ARTCC members to make VATUSA the greatest Division in VATSIM.

VATUSA is a fantastic Division, we have an insanely vast amount of talent amongst our members. I hope to help continue to develop that talent to it's fullest potential.

I am looking forward to working in my new role and with the great team that is VATUSA!
Bob Carmona
Division Conflict Resolution Manager
VATUSA