Can it run P3D??

Christopher Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
Can it run P3D??
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
so i recently got a new (to me) laptop and i've heard that p3d can make full use of your ram and cpu unlike fsx. i wanna upgrade to p3d but i don't know if my laptop has the specs necessary as i don't have the funds for anymore than a budget gaming laptop, or a laptop that's several years old but was one of the best spec wise when it came out, like this laptop.  current living situations prevent me from owning a desktop rig.

specs:
intel core i7-4810mq 4c/8t at 2.8 GHz, though it clocks well above 3 ghz most of the time
24gb 1600 mhz ddr3l memory
amd firepro m6100 2gb gddr5 clocked at 1100mhz (benchmarks put it just below a desktop class gtx 750ti in performance)
17.3" 1080p display
500gb hdd (plan on upgrading this to an ssd in the future)

american truck simulator runs fine at almost max settings with these specs but i lnow p3d is a different animal. also i will play p3d with vanilla scenery and textures, as i only spend money on payware planes (it's a flight simulator, not a scenery simulator)

any feedback will be appreciated.

thanks,

christopher

Christopher Davis
Controller 1
Salt Lake City ARTCC

Michael Romashov

• ZHU Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Can it run P3D??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 12:50:26 AM »
Hey Christopher!

Your CPU and RAM should be fine for P3D but your graphics processor is a bit lacking. You could probably get away with running on all low settings but I'm not sure.

Michael Romashov
VATSIM Developer
Houston ARTCC Webmaster
[email protected]

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Re: Can it run P3D??
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »
I think it really depends on what sort of performance you want. It will run but not very well, in my opinion, but my opinion of what is fine and acceptable may differ from yours. Since you don't seem worried about scenery I guess you could just turn down or off all the autogen and it would be "fine". The processor is slow and old, the memory is ok, and the GPU isn't made for gaming.
Ryan Parry - 965346
Pilot Central