Airports denying IFR services during an event.

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Airports denying IFR services during an event.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 11:53:19 AM »

Will anyone mind if I grin evilly while stroking the back of the purring cat sitting in my lap and remind everyone of the time that we completely closed KLAX (left it unmanned and completely unstaffed) during California Screamin' II? We actually outdid our numbers between ZOA, ZLA, and ZAB compared to the first CalScream held the year prior, and since everyone only thought it was a huge LAX fly-in, we closed it, and denied any services to/from the field. Pilots treated LAX as closed (with full on CTAF), canceled their flight plans with us in the air or on the ground, and picked up IFR in the air with us should they have needed it. Anyone wanting IFR practice approaches or services went to the next closest Class C or D airport.

Ahh yes... Good times there indeed... now.. can someone put a cucumber on the floor behind this cat so it can get the heck off my lap?  ;D

BL.

Matthew Kramer

• ZLA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Airports denying IFR services during an event.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »

Will anyone mind if I grin evilly while stroking the back of the purring cat sitting in my lap and remind everyone of the time that we completely closed KLAX (left it unmanned and completely unstaffed) during California Screamin' II? We actually outdid our numbers between ZOA, ZLA, and ZAB compared to the first CalScream held the year prior, and since everyone only thought it was a huge LAX fly-in, we closed it, and denied any services to/from the field. Pilots treated LAX as closed (with full on CTAF), canceled their flight plans with us in the air or on the ground, and picked up IFR in the air with us should they have needed it. Anyone wanting IFR practice approaches or services went to the next closest Class C or D airport.

Ahh yes... Good times there indeed... now.. can someone put a cucumber on the floor behind this cat so it can get the heck off my lap?  ;D

BL.

You know, with CalScream XX coming up you are giving lots of very.... dastardly ideas!  ;D
Matthew Kramer
ZLA DATM