• Fly the Gorge: April 21, 2019

Fly the Gorge [21 Apr, 2200z-0200z]

Justin Alderman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://zseartcc.org
Fly the Gorge [21 Apr, 2200z-0200z]
« on: April 11, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »

Come and fly through one of the Pacific Northwest's most beautiful sceneries, the Columbia River Gorge! If you use ORBX PNW then you'll likely enjoy the view!

We will be featuring KTTD (Troutdale) Airport just to the east of KPDX (Portland International), along with KPSC (Pasco) Airport.  For those who don't wish to fly smaller GA aircraft through the gorge, come fly in or out of KPDX which we will still be staffing up and give our controllers some additional traffic.

Please note that KTTD is not an airport with any commercial traffic and is intended to handle GA aircraft, including light and moderate corporate jets, but the route between KPSC and KTTD is intended for smaller VFR traffic. However, some jets between the two would be alright. Smaller regional flights can get into KPSC as well, but we would hope for GA VFR aircraft!

Depart out of KTTD and head east along the Columbia River, passing Hermiston area and the old military Chemical Depot cutting a loop to the north along the river into KPSC. You can even stop at the Dalles Airport (KDLS) along the way. Or simply do this route in reverse and enjoy the fun approach as you clear the Gorge into KTTD.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:24:04 PM by Justin Alderman »
Justin A.
Seattle ARTCC (ZSE)

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
Re: Fly the Gorge [21 Apr, 2200z-0200z]
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
WOW, guys.  That was an awesome event.  PLEASE count my vote for more GA- and VFR-oriented events on the network.  It seemed like a good turnout, too.  That has just leaped well into my top-5 favorite experiences ever on VATSIM.  Well done, gents, well done.

If you want a view of it from my vantage point, check the link below.  (You probably want to start it at about 1:30:00 though as I got a little lost after departing KPSC.  Odin Tor can attest that my VFR navigation skills are lacking -- all the more reason we need to get events like these up and running, and practice it more, LOL...)

https://youtu.be/QRJZXllfjac?t=5411
Cheers,
-R.

Aaron Schwartz

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »
WOW, guys.  That was an awesome event.  PLEASE count my vote for more GA- and VFR-oriented events on the network.  It seemed like a good turnout, too.  That has just leaped well into my top-5 favorite experiences ever on VATSIM.  Well done, gents, well done.

If you want a view of it from my vantage point, check the link below.  (You probably want to start it at about 1:30:00 though as I got a little lost after departing KPSC.  Odin Tor can attest that my VFR navigation skills are lacking -- all the more reason we need to get events like these up and running, and practice it more, LOL...)

https://youtu.be/QRJZXllfjac?t=5411

Glad you enjoyed the event, thank you for flying! It's nice to hear some feedback. We are definitely going to be hosting some more VFR centered events in the future!
Aaron Schwartz
Former Seattle Air Traffic Manager

Justin Alderman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 09:28:39 PM »
That's great to hear, and I'm happy you enjoyed it. Part of why I intended to push for us to do more VFR events is they really feel lacking on the network, are the type of flying people should know even before IFR (but don't), and it really mixes it up for a lot of pilots. It can be really helpful for those working on Pilot Ratings on the network. VATSTAR has already been coming to us for support which is fantastic.

Clearly, the event did show that some of our controllers could use some brush up on VFR handling, and for sure the same could be said for many pilots.

One of the biggest issues during the event was aircraft who filed a VFR flight plan expecting to be given a clearance like an IFR aircraft, and many who also were not familiar with the requirements of radio contact before entering a Class Delta airspace, or what Class Delta even was. This was especially the case for those who did not take flight following and thus get the help of the approach controllers telling them to contact the tower.

The other issue was a lot of VFR pilots not maintaining safe visual separation, and this is not counting those who were in Flights of 2+ aircraft. The other is knowing that the Lead aircraft initiates all ATC contact, and wingmen should set transponders on standby. To many constant conflict alerts for ATC, which was annoying even for those not receiving flight following.

As we do this more though we hope everyone will use it as an opportunity to learn.

Stay tuned for some more upcoming events!
Justin A.
Seattle ARTCC (ZSE)

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
I wonder if perhaps coordinating with the VP of Supervisors, to make sure you have some support by way of online SUPs who can proactively tackle some of the separation & conflict alert issues, would be fruitful.
Cheers,
-R.

Ben Speidel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »
+1 For a great event!  I find myself flying VFR 95% of the time I'm on the network so to have a larger event focused on the GA side is a big plus in my book. 

I agree that there seemed to be some missing knowledge by some pilots in the VFR skills based on some of the chatter I was hearing on the Center frequency.  Hopefully by getting more pilots involved with VFR procedures there will be good learning that can take place. 

Anyhow, thanks again for the event and I look forward to participating in more of them in the future!

Justin Alderman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
+1 For a great event!  I find myself flying VFR 95% of the time I'm on the network so to have a larger event focused on the GA side is a big plus in my book. 

I agree that there seemed to be some missing knowledge by some pilots in the VFR skills based on some of the chatter I was hearing on the Center frequency.  Hopefully by getting more pilots involved with VFR procedures there will be good learning that can take place. 

Anyhow, thanks again for the event and I look forward to participating in more of them in the future!

Ben, be sure to come to our Valley to Coast event that continues the GA/VFR series this weekend then!
Justin A.
Seattle ARTCC (ZSE)