RX trouble in VRC

John Morgan

• Members
    • View Profile
RX trouble in VRC
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:06:41 AM »
I'm having a bit of trouble with VRC that i haven't quite had before. I've looked around and found nothing on it and have asked around. Essentially I can't hear aircraft calling from the air but as soon as they hit the ground I can hear them. They are also able to hear me when in the air and on the ground as well as controllers talking to me over the frequency. Furthermore in this situation the RX light does not light up in this situation. Anyone else out there experience this?

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: RX trouble in VRC
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:52:53 PM »
I'm having a bit of trouble with VRC that i haven't quite had before. I've looked around and found nothing on it and have asked around. Essentially I can't hear aircraft calling from the air but as soon as they hit the ground I can hear them. They are also able to hear me when in the air and on the ground as well as controllers talking to me over the frequency. Furthermore in this situation the RX light does not light up in this situation. Anyone else out there experience this?

Let's answer this question with another question: Do you have a personal firewall running on your PC, as well as your router?

It could be that if you are, that you have the right port open outbound to transmit through both the personal firewall as well as the router, but inbound your router is allowing the connection in on the returning port, but the firewall isn't, until the second time the receiving transmission is sent. Now, I'm going off of complete memory here because it has been years since I looked at the docs for VRC, so it could be that both TX and RX use the same port.. But I would say that regardless of if they do or don't, open up both TX and RX ports on the firewall and the router. In fact, I'd go a little bit further and actually disable the personal firewall and let your router's firewall services (assuming it has it) handle your entire personal network. Simply have it forward the ports that TX and RX transmissions come in on to that same port on your PC, and you should be good.

BL.