Looking for work

Terry Peterson

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Looking for work
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
I'm a member of VATUSA but am no longer assigned to a ARTCC;  I was lost in the  mix while Jacksonville was undergoing some changes.  I'm looking for a place where I can learn and there are instructors available along with air traffic.

Anyone interested in a nebbie?
Regards,

1SG Terry "Gunner" Peterson
OIF 2003

Michael Scott

• ZOB Staff
    • View Profile
Looking for work
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »
Terry,
The main thing is you want to go to a place that is right for you so that you'll be intrested. every artcc has good points and bad you just have to figure out what they are.

some points to looks at
1. Traffic - do you want alot of traffic or medium traffic
2. Training- are you a fast learner or do you like takeing your time
3. the most important in my mind FUN- this is a hobby so make sure your haveing fun no matter where your at.

go where you fell you'll do best.

Mike Scott
ZAN DATM
Mike Scott
ZOB ATM

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Looking for work
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:10:38 AM »
Terry,

I tend to control and fly in the ARTCC where I currently live. I live in Miami, FL so I am a member of the Miami ARTCC and most of my online flying occurs in Florida since I prefer GA aircraft, and I fly real world around the Southern Florida area when I get the chance.

As Mike said, it will ultimately end up being your preference. I've found Miami to be a perfect fit for me, but you may enjoy a place with more/less traffic, or a different pace of learning. I'm sure every single ARTCC will accept you, since we were all newbies at one point! Let me know if I can help you make a decision.

Justin A. Martin

• Members
    • View Profile
Looking for work
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:41:33 AM »
Terry,

I agree with Mike and Alex. Every ARTCC has something special to "bribe" you. ZLA has a ton of traffic and very long but efficient training. Other not-so-busy ARTCCs (ZLC, ZMP, ZDC, ZKC) have strong ups in their airspace. For example, ZDC has a very complex airspace with and busy en-route airspace. ZLC and ZDV have high and fun terrain to deal with. So it still all has to do with what you specifically are looking for in an ARTCC.

Justin

Terry Peterson

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Looking for work
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:49:32 AM »
Quote from: Justin A. Martin
Terry,

I agree with Mike and Alex. Every ARTCC has something special to "bribe" you. ZLA has a ton of traffic and very long but efficient training. Other not-so-busy ARTCCs (ZLC, ZMP, ZDC, ZKC) have strong ups in their airspace. For example, ZDC has a very complex airspace with and busy en-route airspace. ZLC and ZDV have high and fun terrain to deal with. So it still all has to do with what you specifically are looking for in an ARTCC.

Justin

Guys, I appreciate all the information coming my way but I'm having a hard time figuring it out.  I'm from Chicago (O'Hare/Midway) but now I live in Florida on the gulf side.  I guess I'd like a medium amount of traffic either commercial or GA with some challenges associate with the airspace.  I fly a lot with the vUSAF, some bush pilot stuff and am or have been with several commercial airlines over the last couple of years.  GA is my passion but I'm not sure there is a lot out there in one area.  Also military is right up my alley as well since I spent 29 years in and part of that was aviation.  Thanks in advance for any help I can get.  Gunner
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:52:32 AM by Terry Peterson »
Regards,

1SG Terry "Gunner" Peterson
OIF 2003

Mike Cassel

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
Looking for work
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:12:40 AM »
Terry,

A lot of the posters here have gotten it dead on. Every ARTCC is perfect for some people and not so great for others. I know many people at ZLA would find the traffic levels at some of the slower ARTCCs less stimulating, while others prefer the slower pace and less difficulty.

There are a few things you can look at though to get some idea of what you are getting yourself into, that in my experience matter very much. Here are the kind of questions you should ask:

1) Does the ARTCC staff their positions? Although there's something to be said for going to a less-staffed ARTCC in an attempt to build them up, advancing at a dead ARTCC can be difficult if nobody is staffing positions and there aren't many instructional resources available. It is also harder to draw traffic for your sessions if the Center position is not staffed on a regular basis.

2) What is the training department like at the ARTCC? Every training department is different. Write the Training Administrator or Air Traffic Manager of the ARTCCs you are interested and ask them for their thoughts, look at the publicly available materials on their websites, observe a little bit at the ARTCC, and ask students going through the program for their opinions.

3) Do the ARTCC Staff members exist and stay active? An issue that can crop up at an ARTCC is the staff not being online. Look at whether the ARTCC Staff instructs, controls on at least a semi-regular basis, and in general shows a presence in the ARTCC. Advancement becomes very difficult if the training and administrative staffs aren't active. Do they reply to your e-mails promptly?

4) How are the ARTCCs forums and/or Teamspeak server? This seems like a minor point, but it's one worth considering. Do you like the attitude of the members in the forums? Do the people seem like the kind of people you want to control with? Does the staff seem knowledgeable, friendly, and mature? Does the place seem dead?

5) What do you want in an ARTCC? The learning curve at ARTCCs differs drastically depending on the traffic and complexity of the airspace, and the philosophy of the training department. Some ARTCCs demand substantial off the scope effort as well live training, while others do not. Some people like having a geographic connection to the airspace, as it can help them learn it more easily, others don't care. I find working lots of planes every night and constantly being challenged really fun. That's why I keep coming back. I know plenty of people completely satisfied at other places for their reasons.

That's really just the beginning of the list. Making a good choice can be the difference between enjoying this hobby and not.

Finally, remember that if you don't make the right choice, you can always visit elsewhere, or transfer. People transfer for all sorts of reasons. I transferred twice because I had reached the top at previous ARTCCs, only to discover that there was a bigger challenge worth attempting. If you make the wrong choice, you may find another place is better for you.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:16:35 AM by Mike Cassel »

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Looking for work
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »
Terry,

Miami ARTCC is seeing a push to open the military fields again, such as Navy Key West or even Homestead. If you live in Florida and want to control in that general area, I highly recommend Miami. You'll even get me as an instructor (if that's a good thing, lol)

Robbie Brehm

Looking for work
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »
Terry,
    If you'd like some more information about Miami, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Quote from: Alex Bailey
You'll even get me as an instructor (if that's a good thing, lol)

Still under debate