30 Day requirment?

Justin Loehner

• Members
    • View Profile
30 Day requirment?
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »
I have been going though the vatusa training material and doing alot of practical online training, kind of a fast track to C1 as i had hoped, I am currently ready to take my OTS so I can receive my S2 rating, but i was told by my ATM that I am inelegible for promotion until 30 days have passed from my last promotion, I tend to find this rule a, for lack of better words,  DUMB IDEA, if a person isnt ready for promotion you dont promote them, but dont limit the rest of us with a desire to learn and advance with a stupid rule...

Sadly to say, unless this can be resolved for me, VATUSA has lost another aspiring controller, as I have no interest in waiting 30 days inbetween each promotion because I'm learning to fast

Dissappointed,

Justin

Michael Corcoran

• Members
    • View Profile
30 Day requirment?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Im not speaking officially for VATUSA, but 30 days is actually a very quick time to obtain a new rating.  Many people wait months and months before getting a new rating.  I dont see how its even possible to master the S3/C1 material in less than a month.     "Fast Tracking" is a practice that is, in my opinion, totally useless as it will come back and bite you later on.  My advice is to take time and absorb the material and really get it under your belt before trying to move up the ranks so fast.  

There is always more to learn.

Just my opinion on the matter.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:22:09 PM by Michael E. Corcoran »

Justin Loehner

• Members
    • View Profile
30 Day requirment?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
That still doesnt answer my question, I've looked everywhere on the vatusa website and seen nothing about a 30 day requirement, Just the fact that the person needs to show knowledge in the position to be promoted, and its a promotion from S1 to S2 no S3 or C1, I havent even looked at that matieral yet.

Bryan Wollenberg

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
30 Day requirment?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
I remember there USED to be a rule like this somewhere.  I can't tell you where it is in writing.  However, under the spirit of the GRP and the "promotion when you're ready to be promoted" principle, if you're ready to move on, you're ready to move on.  I can't imagine making you wait 30 days if you're ready to be promoted.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
30 Day requirment?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:46:59 PM »
If there was ever a 30 day minimum time between promotions, it was before my time (Nov 2007).  No such rule exists.  However, unless you are prior RW ATC, or very lucky to get all the training time in your ARTCC, as Mike mentioned, very few are ready in 30 days.  Mike is also very correct -- oftentimes, our experience with those who attempt to fast track without having the skill and/or experience under their belt is that they melt down quickly when they see "real" traffic at a higher position.  You can't build something solid on a foundation of eggshells.  So most of us experienced old hacks would strongly caution you to get some experience, so you don't end up trying to cash checks you don't have later on....

That said, there is no minimum 30 day rule on the VATUSA, VATNA or VATSIM books.  When you're ready, you're ready.

Brian Pryor

• Members
    • View Profile
30 Day requirment?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
To echo Don and emphasize when you are ready, which may not be when you think you are ready. Your instructors and mentors will be good gauges of your current level.

In the past I have trained many who thought they were ready but when it came time for a rush of traffic reality set in and it was clear to both the student and myself that they weren't as ready as they thought.

Gary Millsaps

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
30 Day requirment?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
I can categorically state there is one and one instance ONLY within VATUSA where a rating advance has a minimum time period attached...that is the period expected for a member to serve as an Instructor (I1) before they are considered for the Training Administrator (I3) position. That's it.

Justin's situation has been worked through and rectified.