New United States domestic flight regulations

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 08:21:18 AM »
Quote from: Brad Littlejohn
I still don't know why the TSA is sticking their head into this, because this was clearly a failure of security at EHAM.

I am not sure I would go so far as to say it was a failure as it is a lack of preparation.  Having flown in and out of there a few times, it is worth mentioning that there has to be some consideration for the fact that they have not had a 9/11 style event and thus they would view airport security differently that we would.  I have found the same to be true in places like  DeGaulle airport in Paris & Prague-Runzyne, while London-Heathrow is decidedly more intense on security.  It is just a question of what the Netherlands national government perceives to be a needed level of security at their airport, which is lower than what we deem necessary here.

At EHAM, you do not get screened until you get to the gate area, and it is just a metal detector and passport check.  Once inside the gate area, you are not allowed to leave.  There are no provisions for detecting explosives, etc.  My understanding is that there was not any metal to speak of on this person.  So it is just a matter of these folks looking across the landscape and selecting a departure point that is best suited to facilitate what they are trying to do.

Happy new year!

Anthony Baker

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »
soon the TSA will require that they supply our luggage, that we take all of our clothes off at the security checkpoint, and that we wear the paper "robe" that they give us at the checkpoint.

Eventually someone will drink/eat an explosive and only the pilots will be allowed on the plane.

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Podner
At EHAM, you do not get screened until you get to the gate area, and it is just a metal detector and passport check.  Once inside the gate area, you are not allowed to leave.  There are no provisions for detecting explosives, etc.  My understanding is that there was not any metal to speak of on this person.  So it is just a matter of these folks looking across the landscape and selecting a departure point that is best suited to facilitate what they are trying to do.

Happy new year!

So this brings up another question.

Looking at the map of the airport, and assuming they operate the same as KLAX does (if you want to go to a different terminal, you have to walk outside the building and re-enter at that specific terminal), you would have to go through security again and get screened. But what if you are in transit and do not leave the gate area? If your flight comes into the same area, and you are in transit, you wouldn't be getting screened again, unless you enter the country (by passing customs). This is how my flight was from KOMA-NZAA-YMML. As long as I didn't go through the doors to customs to enter the country, I was in transit, and was free to walk around the transit area in Auckland's airport terminal.

At least with respect to the TSA and at least based on the *********** that is Lagos Security, they should have rescreened every passenger, if not just those transiting to the NWA flight.

This makes me wonder, with how much in bed NWA has been with KLM over the years, if they'll shift US Customs clearances for US-bound flights for NWA/DAL to EHAM.. sort of like how BAW001 has their EGLC-KJFK customs done at Shannon while refueling.

BL.

Salvatore Barcia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 04:11:20 AM »
As said, there is a new rule comming out called the 1 Hour Rule for US bound flights. This one hour rule basically stops anyone from getting up or using any devices 1 hour prior to landing. They are also looking to shut off the in-flight live maps 1 hour prior to landing.

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »
Quote from: Brad Littlejohn
So this brings up another question.

Looking at the map of the airport, and assuming they operate the same as KLAX does (if you want to go to a different terminal, you have to walk outside the building and re-enter at that specific terminal), you would have to go through security again and get screened. But what if you are in transit and do not leave the gate area? If your flight comes into the same area, and you are in transit, you wouldn't be getting screened again, unless you enter the country (by passing customs). This is how my flight was from KOMA-NZAA-YMML. As long as I didn't go through the doors to customs to enter the country, I was in transit, and was free to walk around the transit area in Auckland's airport terminal.

At least with respect to the TSA and at least based on the *********** that is Lagos Security, they should have rescreened every passenger, if not just those transiting to the NWA flight.

This makes me wonder, with how much in bed NWA has been with KLM over the years, if they'll shift US Customs clearances for US-bound flights for NWA/DAL to EHAM.. sort of like how BAW001 has their EGLC-KJFK customs done at Shannon while refueling.

BL.

Each gate on the international concourse is isolated from the others.  The screening point is at the gate itself and the security personnel usually show up at the gate an hour or so before departure to screen everyone.  I have not transferred at EHAM before, so I am not 100% sure, but based on the layout, I do not see any way you could get through an int'l connection without an additional screen.

DeGaulle was that way, I had an inbound from Prague connecting through Paris and had to go through customs and recheck/rescreen for the flight to Newark.

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 02:16:09 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Podner
Each gate on the international concourse is isolated from the others.  The screening point is at the gate itself and the security personnel usually show up at the gate an hour or so before departure to screen everyone.  I have not transferred at EHAM before, so I am not 100% sure, but based on the layout, I do not see any way you could get through an int'l connection without an additional screen.

DeGaulle was that way, I had an inbound from Prague connecting through Paris and had to go through customs and recheck/rescreen for the flight to Newark.

That's interesting to know, because NZAA was not that way when I transferred through there, nor was YMML, YSSY, or CYVR when I went there. Especially at NZAA, where there were at least 9 gates around me that I could get to without being rescreened. The in-transit area was huge; lengthy, but huge. It was a good 5 - 6 minute walk from the duty-free shops and sitting area to the gate. No rescreening required to get to the gate, either.

This was a UAL flight, at that.

BL.

David Jedrejcic

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
It seems to be different everywhere you go - each country and airport seems to have their own way of doing things.  Generally, if travelling internationally, you only get screened when you depart, and you only go through customs once you reach the country of your destination.  Anything in the middle is just "in transit".  However, I recall having gone through security at Frankfurt, even though I was only passing through it - I needed to to get from one terminal to another, and so I had to go through security again.  Most of the time, that doesn't happen though.  

In any case, I was on a number of planes over the past few days, and never once did I hear mention of any new regulations, new security measures, or have anyone ask me to take anything off of my lap while in flight.  I didn't even know any "incident" had occurred until I got to work this morning and people asked me about my flights and how horrible it must have been with all the new security regulations.  lol