BIG Sessions and VATUSA Servers.

Melinda Boyette

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:14:18 PM »
I've posted a couple of topics like this one before over the last year with what seems like no real progress. Last night's FNO into Chicago was a great example of this and really feel for the crew up in and around ZAU. There were quite a few pilots loosing their cool claiming that the APP controllers were " ignoring " them which I know not to be the case. We received an email from one of the controllers last night and I quote :

" and as you may have noticed I had some connection/server problems because I kept getting disconnected, had to reconnect, pick up track on 30 airplanes and manually figure out  "

It seems like almost every big event that has more than a large amount of traffic the servers aren't able to cope with the work load. Almost every controller I know complains about Server Splits. Coming from a controller's point of view I know that this can be VERY annoying and also causes a disconnect in control with other team members as well as an interruption in service to the pilots. Caos in short. Last night appeared pretty brutal. I didn't catch the name of the CTR controller for last night's FNO, however, he earned a tip of the hat. He was controlling everything from him down to what appeared to be TWR. He was doing his best under the circumstances and really kept his cool.

I am more than curious to know what VATUSA is doing to work on this issue. The Super Bowl event is coming to Miami here in less than a month which if last night is any indication on how the servers are going to cope....  will be less than pretty. I have flown a couple large events in the UK and they don't seem to have that issue. Is there something they are doing that VATUSA isn't? The end result is being that more and more controllers are getting frustrated and not wanting to be part of large events.... pilots think they are being mis-treated, and participation for these types of events appear to be on the fall.

I'm concerned about this.

Sincerely,
Melinda Romig
ZMA Tower Certified.

[img]http://www.virtualb6.net/email_sb/JBU1369_SB.png\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Andrew Murfin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »
That was me on Cleveland Center, and my email haha.  I got disconnected probably 4 or 5 times, however I will say that was my first time getting disconnected during an event EVER.  Also, there have been some problems with the UK server I heard, which is the main one I used, the other times I was getting disconnected from the two US servers.  Generally though I've always had least amount problems with the UK servers.

Andrew

Michael Hodge Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://training.vatusa.net
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:32:29 AM »
Melinda,

I can't say as for why the servers seem to act up, only to say that as VATUSA, we have no control over any of the servers, or any way of ensuring they don't hiccup during the busy events. The servers are operated entirely by VATSIM.

I will say this though, the server splits, in my opinion, have gone down dramatically compared to even a year ago (although it may not seem like it). Unfourtauntly, there isn't much we can do, other then to connect to another server once disconnected.

I do understand your frustration though!

-Mike

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:27:51 AM »
To add to Mike's response, there is no such thing as a VATUSA server.  All servers are controlled by VATSIM.

Norman Blackburn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:56:05 AM »
Melinda,

The best place to bring this up is either via email or at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39983

Its not evey day any of the BoG get a chance to read these forums.

Speaking with both Luca and Mike, neither had any automated notifications so any detailed information you have may be of great help.

Thomas Flanary

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:54:32 AM »
FWIW I just controlled 139 aircraft in a 4 hour period in an airspace the size of a shoe, and I experienced no server splits.

Jolly good show VATSIM.

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »
To add to Tom's comment, I helped to supervise the Miami Superbowl fly-in and it is easily one of the largest events I have ever seen on VATSIM. I didn't observe any issues and heard no complaints from any pilots regarding the servers. Excellent job to VATSIM with the new servers in the past week or so!

... and hats off to Tom for controlling more planes than most of us can handle in an airspace the size of a shoe, although I did help by taking care of the problems haha!  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:29:18 AM by Alex Bailey »

David Klain

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »
Over the last 24 months  a number of adjustments were made to the backbone code (FSD and otherwise) that have greatly reduced server splits and dropped connections.  What we find now is that we typically only see server splits when one of the FSD HUB computers locks up (happens every once in a while and is NOT traffic load related).  On the other hand, what we now see on disconnections is that it is generally NOT caused by the VATSIM servers.  When we run them to ground either (a) the client (ATC or pilot) and computer got overwhelmed or (b) somewhere between the client and the VATSIM server saw the high load and interrupted the connection for bandwidth control purposes (think of this as cox cable seeing your computer is pulling a lot of bandwidth on an open port and closing it).  A number of ISPs in the US are becoming much more aggressive about doing this...in some cases it appears to be in an attempt to get a customer to buy a "premium plan" (think Cox or Comcast's varying levels of cable internet service).

I can tell you that at present we are not seeing ANY impact on the servers causing them to split, lockup or disconnect clients due to traffic load.

Dave