J-3/X-ray

Jacob McGowin

• Members
    • View Profile
J-3/X-ray
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
Hi guys. I've been wanting to fly a J-3 on VATSIM, but I've been wondering; The J-3 does not have a transponder in the panel, so I can't squawk any code other than 1200, but with FSInn, I'm able Standby and Charlie... So here's my question. Should I file X-ray, avoid Bravos, and squawk standby, or should I squawk C and just not be able to squawk a code?

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
J-3/X-ray
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
File, avoid and squawk. VATSIM rules require you to squawk Mode C, or "normal" while in flight. If contacted and assigned a discrete code, just advise unable. And enjoy!

Jacob McGowin

• Members
    • View Profile
J-3/X-ray
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
Quote from: Tom Seeley
File, avoid and squawk. VATSIM rules require you to squawk Mode C, or "normal" while in flight. If contacted and assigned a discrete code, just advise unable. And enjoy!

OK, thanks. I'll do that.

Paul Byrne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bostonartcc.net
J-3/X-ray
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
Hi,

Avoiding controlled airspace (B+C specifically) is not completely necessary.

From CFR 91.215
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--](d) ATC authorized deviations.
Requests for ATC authorized deviations must be made to the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the concerned airspace within the time periods specified as follows:

(1) For operation of an aircraft with an operating transponder but without operating automatic pressure altitude reporting equipment having a Mode C capability, the request may be made at any time.

(2) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative transponder to the airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops, or to proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the request may be made at any time.

(3) For operation of an aircraft that is not equipped with a transponder, the request must be made at least one hour before the proposed operation.[/quote]
Since (3) in not applicable here (as you pointed out you do have an xpnder in SB/FSInn), and if you consider not being able to squawk a discreet code as inop, once you pre-coordinate it with the appropriate controller, you can enter B or C airspace.

By the way, if you use SB, you can use the command ".x [code]" to change your squawk code.

Cheers!