Headset works sometimes

Tandy Allen

• Members
    • View Profile
Headset works sometimes
« on: March 13, 2021, 12:41:01 PM »
Apologies if this is not the proper forum for this question but I can't seem to find a suitable answer anywhere else

I have not been flying on VATSIM in quite some time and recently purchased MSFS 2020 and started flying again.  I'm using vPilot and can't seem to get my headset(s) to work with any regularity nor can I seem to figure under what circumstances the problem occurs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
Re: Headset works sometimes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
Hey Tandy, welcome back!

Any idea what the issue is?

When you press the push-to-talk button, does the "TX" light up? If so, double-check that you have the correct input device selected in vPilot, and also that you're within "range" of the controller. If you're too far away, they may not hear you.

If the "TX" does NOT light up, could be that you need to check your settings (PTT key and/or mic device).

In either case, you should always run vPilot "as administrator" so it can always "see" your PTT.

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC Community Manager
[email protected]

Tandy Allen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 05:12:51 AM »
Evan - this situation is intermittent and happens with 2 different headsets.  Sometimes everything is fine, TX/RX both work and everything is fine.  Other folks offer a 5x5 rating. And then the mic doesn't work.  The headsets show up in both Windows and vPilot and I can hear thru the headset but no mic functionality.

Thanks for the response

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 11:34:19 AM »
Double-check that you're running vPilot "as administrator" - that's important for ensuring the PTT works ever time.

The next time you can hear through the headset but no mic, let us know if you can see the "TX" lighting up when you try to transmit.

If the "TX" lights up, send the controller you're trying to contact a private message, with your current location. Let them know you're unable to reach them. If you're trying to call a Center or Approach controller, it could be you are outside of their range. (This wouldn't be an issue / the case if you are at KJFK and trying to call a controller based there, like JFK_GND.)

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC Community Manager
[email protected]