Linked Events

• [10 APR 2020, 23Z - 03Z] Springtime in Philadelphia FNO: April 10, 2020

[10 APR 2020, 23Z - 03Z] Springtime in Philadelphia FNO

Gia Pham

• ZDC Staff
    • View Profile
Re: [10 APR 2020, 23Z - 03Z] Springtime in Philadelphia FNO
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 01:21:03 AM »
We have 5 active center controllers. 3 TMUs and 1 D-side on Washington in order to keep this event floated on DC side. TMU and D-Side did all the metering/GDP in order for us just to control our own sector. How can we possibly do it better?

We did have to coordinate a lot since NY went from 20 to 25 to 40 MIT depends on arrival. There is not a lot that we can do because of not skillful aviators, not brave controllers and people are just impatient since they have to wait for hours due to a ground stop program at the event field.

Just my 2 cents here.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 10:03:25 AM »
If anybody, especially pilots, are upset about holding or delays, PHL had 3 straight hours over the real world arrival rate capacity. Expecting Vatsim controllers to manage MORE traffic than the real world, who is better trained and better equipped, is absurd. A while back we agreed that 65% of the real world rate is acceptable and should be what we can handle as Vatsim controllers, these guys managed over 35% more than that. If anything I think all of the controllers deserve kudos for doing what they could. If you're not ok with delays don't fly during an FNO.

https://simaware.ca/events/analyze/113

Junzhe Yan

• ZDC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 11:58:37 AM »
Tim
I'm not going to get into it with you because you hold a position in ZDC. I reported where I had the problem and how we as the pilots were getting hosed because the folks on the ground couldn't work together. Your comment about letting proceed just proves there is a problem by your answer. When we question the ATC pilots are to blame.

Sir now you are saying "the folks on the ground couldn't work together" but earlier you were saying that ZDC wasn't doing the job and holding people. ZDC can't do much when PHL can only take certain arrivals per hour. I wasn't the guy in charge or controlling enroute so I can't say much, however, I believe they tried their best to stop too much aircraft enters ZDC. However, if neighbor ARTCC keeps dumping traffic into ZDC, all they can do was to hold people until PHL clears up. If you see a tree's leaves turning brown, it might not be the leave's problem.
Now let's talk about why people were entering ZDC from Atlanta but not Indy. To make it simpler, let's just say ZDC was ok with that. Here's an example. There is a highway that having a traffic jam because the exit is jammed. There's also a traffic light to control traffic on the highway. The lane with green light can get on the highway and the lane with red light cannot. Sir you are sitting in the lane waiting for the red light and complaining about the traffic light and the highway.

You guys at DC love your metaphors. Call it what it was, a mess. You can't fault the pilots who got bounced around between Indy and DC as we were cleared and following instructions from take-off to holds. By the way, I'm not the one responsible for coordinating traffic, your guys are. So if I come-on here to voice my dissatisfaction don't try to make me the bad guy because their was too much traffic. I'm sure another DC controller will chime in. Your good at that. I'm out and done replying because it's getting nowhere.

Nobody is blaming the pilots. If you really have to blame someone, ZDC does not deserve your top choice. Do you know why more and more controllers are chiming in? It's because you are dumping dirt on us that we clearly know we don't deserve. Let's coordinate more so the airport which is capable of arriving 51 airplanes an hour can now take 150 airplanes? Like everyone else said, it's physically impossible. If there are too many people trying to fly in, someone will have to sit on the ground or flying circles in the air or divert. The rule is "first come, first serve", so nobody should be prioritized. At least not in ZDC. People entered ZDC from ZTL but not ZID may have other reasons. Those who came from ZTL might be holding in ZDC as well. You can't just sit on your couch and "voice your dissatisfaction" without knowing what's actually going on. Do you know why "it's getting nowhere"? It's because your complaining is from nowhere.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:40:47 PM by Junzhe Yan »