VATUSA Website and Data Systems

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« on: May 30, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
Ok guys,

We are hobbling along with some glitches here and there and we are working to get those solved one by one.  Please bear with us as these issues are resolved.

Updates will be forthcoming, but just probably not every hour like before.

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:11:34 PM »
Great job getting it back Andrew! I know you've been busting your butt all day long on it.

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »
Thanks Tom,

Here's the latest update:

Most of our systems look ok on the surface but there are a lot of underlying issues that are killing us.  the Webhost required a lot of server configuration changes to close loopholes and that basically put our legacy systems in a bad way.  First off, our systems are secure.  Our data has not been compromised.  That is the good news.

The bad news is:

• The public site is not working correctly
  • The ATM control panel is basically good for read only purposes
  • Promotions panel is down
  • Cert Center/Testing is down
  • notams & email....unknown at this time
  • pilot/atc booking....down

Good News is

• A new public site will be online within 24 hours
  • The training center is still up and running
  • Email is running
  • New Members appears to be working (not sure about basic controller exam yet)
  • Forums are working
  • Everything that is broken can be fixed!

So please be patient, bear with us, and we will emerge from this stronger, faster, and more secure.  Thank you all for your support as your VATUSA staff continues to put this back together.  Expect further updates on a regular basis, beginning with a recovery plan that will be posted later this evening.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:00:09 PM by Andrew Podner »

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
I'd like to echo what Tom has already said. Andrew has been doing a fantastic job today getting us back online. Initiation was smooth  

More info will be released as we begin to piece things back together and figure out what needs to be done.

Alan Hensley

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:21 PM »
Andrew has been working all day non-stop on this.  Thank you very much Andrew.

Manuel Manigault

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »
I am very impressed by the response to this crisis.  Great work Andrew!

Justin A. Martin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:14 PM »
Thanks Andrew! I look forward to seeing the improvements that emerge from this!

Justin

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »
9:30pm Update:

We have managed to put together a new website as the old one was just not going to be very fixable, and was due to be replaced anyway.  The department pages are not all filled in yet, but each department head will be working on that soon.  A few things are not in there yet:
-C3 applications
-NOTAMS/Mass Email System
-ATC Booking (but it does not regularly get used anyway)

The bad news is:
-The ATM control panel is basically good for read only purposes
-Promotions panel is down
-Cert Center/Testing login is down

Good News is
-All data and records are intact as far as I can tell
-The training center is still up and running
-Email is running
-New Member Application is working and the Basic Controller test is working
-Forums are working
-Everything that is broken can be fixed!

Now let's talk about what the plan is:

1)Get the ATM/DATM control panel back up and running at 100%.  Ultimately most systems will be merged into the new site framework, but for now I believe that this system can be repaired with out TOO much pain.  This system is crucial for day to day operations, and has to be attacked first.  It is about 50-60% operational right now.

2)Certcenter, this is where the tests are and it is a very old legacy system.  Currently, here's what I know; The testing system must work to some extent becuse people are taking the Basic Controller Exam to join since we restored services.  That is a good sign.  What appears to be messed up the worst is logins/authentication.   IF that is fixed and nothing else major is wrong, then we are luck and just bought some time.  If not, then we are in a tough spot and will have to come up with an effective replacement in short order and that will be a difficult task as it is a very complex system.

3)Promotions/Instructor Site:  for the time being we ae going have to do promotions the old fashioned way.  Send us an email and we'll get it handled.  Again, the plan will be to try and restore the current system first, and if that fails, we'll have to overhaul.

4)Backend Systems: we will have to evaluate our automated systems to see if they are still integrating and communicating with VATSIM properly

5)NOTAMs/Email:  This will be the last system we get to, but it will get restored in one form or fashion.

Once all this is done, we will take a breath and then go back to the original goals that have been being discussed over the last week or so.

More to follow.......
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:57:26 PM by Andrew Podner »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »
Wow, you've outdone yourself already! Nice work. I'm really hoping we can get our ARTCC tests back from the CertCenter.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:17:01 PM by Harold Rutila »

Tod Allison

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 10:22:30 PM »
Keep up the great work, Andrew.

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »
Harold, the tests themselves are in there and fine, as are all previous results.  Even if we move it to another system, you will not have to start from scratch

Quote from: Harold Rutila
Wow, you've outdone yourself already! Nice work. I'm really hoping we can get our ARTCC tests back from the CertCenter.

Bryan Wollenberg

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »
Wow!!  Great job Andrew.  The new site also looks fantastic.  Nicely done today.

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 11:44:19 PM »
For the time being, promotions will need to be emailed to me so I can upgrade the member through CERT. Please include the name and CID of the student.

Zach Saxman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zfwartcc.com
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 12:18:43 AM »
What a fantastic job today Andy! You always got things done fast and eloquently when I first met you, and you are still doing things that same way! Can't wait to see your next ideas and improvements!

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 07:18:55 AM »
UPDATE: SUNDAY 7:30am

Sometimes, even when your not working on a project, good things can still happen....
The new website seems to be holding up well, no major problems observed or reported yet.  Also, last night it appears that all backend data systems operated normally.  I received several successful job completion emails, and no failures.   Very good sign.  I believe that we are in decent shape so far.  So the update list is.....

The bad news:
-Promotions panel is down
-Cert Center/Testing login is down, but it looks like testing and reassigns are working

The Good News:
-The ATM control panel is back online and functional as far as I can tell (if anyone accepts a transfer today let me know if it works.)
-All data and records are intact as far as I can tell
-The training center is still up and running
-Email is running
-New Member Application is working and the Basic Controller test is working
-Forums are working
-Everything that is broken can be fixed!

Today's goal(s):

1-Start on the Cert Center
2-....let's see how #1 goes first

more to follow..........
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:31:39 AM by Andrew Podner »