Preferred RWYs question

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:37:53 PM »
Guys, as a VATSIM pilot where can I find information on the preferred takeoff /landing runways in KJFK, KEWR, KIAD and KBOS normally used by VATSIM controllers?

Thanks,
Igor.
Staten Island, NY.

Benton Wilmes

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:13:19 AM »
For the NY airports:

http://www.nyartcc.org/runway

For DC airports, you have to actually look through their SOPs if you are that desperate to see. Same thing with Boston, have to look in the SOP to find out exactly what they would be running. But usually, you can just guess correctly based on the winds.
There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Benton Wilmes
[img]http://online.vatsimindicators.net/965807/61.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
Quote from: Benton Wilmes
For the NY airports:

http://www.nyartcc.org/runway

For DC airports, you have to actually look through their SOPs if you are that desperate to see. Same thing with Boston, have to look in the SOP to find out exactly what they would be running. But usually, you can just guess correctly based on the winds.

Yes, NYARTCC site actually prompted me to ask the question. I guess flying to/from these busy hubs can make anyone desperate in r/l too. I'd rather exesice before connecting to VATSIM in one of those.

Thanks,
Igor.

Mario Lucero

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
Quote from: Igor Petrov
Guys, as a VATSIM pilot where can I find information on the preferred takeoff /landing runways in KJFK, KEWR, KIAD and KBOS normally used by VATSIM controllers?

Thanks,
Igor.
Staten Island, NY.

The most correct information will be in the ATIS (facility voice ATIS, or the text ATIS of the relevent controllers.   Typically (but not always) this information matches the aforementioned runway selection guide.

For planning purposes the preferred calm wind runway are:
KJFK departing 31L landing 31R
KLGA departing 31 landing 22
KEWR departing 22R landing 22L

Typically if the wind is greater than 5 knots, the runways will be selected to align best with the wind (JFK based on quarters and EWR based on halves)

Of course, everything is always subject to change due to weather considerations.

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:35:28 PM »
Quote from: Mario Lucero
The most correct information will be in the ATIS (facility voice ATIS, or the text ATIS of the relevent controllers.   Typically (but not always) this information matches the aforementioned runway selection guide.

For planning purposes the preferred calm wind runway are:
KJFK departing 31L landing 31R
KLGA departing 31 landing 22
KEWR departing 22R landing 22L

Typically if the wind is greater than 5 knots, the runways will be selected to align best with the wind (JFK based on quarters and EWR based on halves)

Of course, everything is always subject to change due to weather considerations.

Thanks, guys. It's clear now.

Igor.

JOHN MANLEY

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »

Thanks,
Igor.
Staten Island, NY.

for ZDC: http://zdcartcc.org/ZDC_runways.htm

BE ADVISED: 1L/19R in this system is the NEW 1C/19C at IAD...

In case: (A) -> Arrival ONLY
             (D) -> Departure ONLY
John D. Manley
Virtual Fort Worth ARTCC CPC

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
Quote from: John D. Manley
for ZDC: http://zdcartcc.org/ZDC_runways.htm

BE ADVISED: 1L/19R in this system is the NEW 1C/19C at IAD...

In case: (A) -> Arrival ONLY
             (D) -> Departure ONLY

Noted.

Thanks,
Igor.

Paul Byrne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bostonartcc.net
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »
Hi,

For KBOS. Our calm wind runway is Rwy04R (winds less than 5kts). Also, landings may not happen on Rwy09 and 14. Departures may not happen on Rwy32. Jet aircraft may not depart Rwy04L or land on Rwy22R.

After that, if there is no ATC, just go with the runway that is most aligned with the wind or that the majority of pilots are using. If there are controllers on, check the airport ATIS and it will give you the current runway config that we are using.

Cheers!

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
Quote from: Paul Byrne
Hi,

For KBOS. Our calm wind runway is Rwy04R (winds less than 5kts). Also, landings may not happen on Rwy09 and 14. Departures may not happen on Rwy32. Jet aircraft may not depart Rwy04L or land on Rwy22R.

After that, if there is no ATC, just go with the runway that is most aligned with the wind or that the majority of pilots are using. If there are controllers on, check the airport ATIS and it will give you the current runway config that we are using.

Cheers!

Thanks, noted.

Igor.

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »
I flew to ORD from JFK last Sunday (~2PM), and we were stuck at h/s 22R behind a few other planes for about 30 min without any obvious reason (big lines of jets on h/s from the both sides of the same rwy ),  but even before that we drove to opposite thresholds that seemed to me as if the wind changed. Somewhat disturbing thing (from my perspective) was that we came too close behind the Korean B747 cargo, I think I smelled its exhaust and it looked like we were less than 100ft (?) from its tail. I was kinda relieved when I saw an ERJ from the opposite side of h/s take the active right after this Korean cargo ahead of us took off (considering its wake).

Anyway, when planning to take off from 22R to KIAD, which SID would you recommend to consider? And  which STAR at KIAD with the winds from 200-220?

Thanks,
Igor.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:56:53 AM by Igor Petrov »

Mario Lucero

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
No matter what the runway is you can (but are not required to) file the KENNEDY ONE departure.  Off 22R this usually means you will fly heading 225 and climb to 5000ft until further advised by ATC, who will vector you to your first fix.  After 2200 local time, you will be assigned the GATEWAY CLIMB which is slightly different.

If we are operating off of 31L, you will receive a different climb, as published on the chart, for jets it will be the CANARSIE or BREEZY POINT CLIMB (it will be the BREEZY POINT climb if you are using the routes below).  If you aren't able to, or aren't comfortable trying to fly these climbs, simply file without a SID, and you will be assigned a heading by the tower for departure.  A SID is NEVER required at zny.

Another option: when we are departing 31L, you can file the RNAV SID: SKORR ONE (SKORR1.RNGRR RBV...etc..)

The rest of our sids (BETTE3, MERIT3, HAPIE3, GREKI3, SEAVIEW2) are only used for North Atlantic Routes or SWAP (Severe Weather Avoidance Plan), so you should not file these.

Your route to KIAD should ALWAYS be
RBV V276 HIKES HOUTN V457 LRP.HYPER2 (RNAV) or
RBV V276 HIKES HOUTN V457 LRP.DELRO2 (non-RNAV)
regardless of what runways are in use at Dulles with a maximum altitude of FL240.

I flew to ORD from JFK last Sunday (~2PM), and we were stuck at h/s 22R behind a few other planes for about 30 min without any obvious reason (big lines of jets on h/s from the both sides of the same rwy ),  but even before that we drove to opposite thresholds that seemed to me as if the wind changed. Somewhat disturbing thing (from my perspective) was that we came too close behind the Korean B747 cargo, I think I smelled its exhaust and it looked like we were less than 100ft (?) from its tail. I was kinda relieved when I saw an ERJ from the opposite side of h/s take the active right after this Korean cargo ahead of us took off (considering its wake).

Anyway, when planning to take off from 22R to KIAD, which SID would you recommend to consider? And  which STAR at KIAD with the winds from 200-220?

Thanks,
Igor.

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »
Quote from: Mario Lucero
No matter what the runway is you can (but are not required to) file the KENNEDY ONE departure.  Off 22R this usually means you will fly heading 225 and climb to 5000ft until further advised by ATC, who will vector you to your first fix.  After 2200 local time, you will be assigned the GATEWAY CLIMB which is slightly different.

If we are operating off of 31L, you will receive a different climb, as published on the chart, for jets it will be the CANARSIE or BREEZY POINT CLIMB (it will be the BREEZY POINT climb if you are using the routes below).  If you aren't able to, or aren't comfortable trying to fly these climbs, simply file without a SID, and you will be assigned a heading by the tower for departure.  A SID is NEVER required at zny.

Another option: when we are departing 31L, you can file the RNAV SID: SKORR ONE (SKORR1.RNGRR RBV...etc..)

The rest of our sids (BETTE3, MERIT3, HAPIE3, GREKI3, SEAVIEW2) are only used for North Atlantic Routes or SWAP (Severe Weather Avoidance Plan), so you should not file these.

Your route to KIAD should ALWAYS be
RBV V276 HIKES HOUTN V457 LRP.HYPER2 (RNAV) or
RBV V276 HIKES HOUTN V457 LRP.DELRO2 (non-RNAV)
regardless of what runways are in use at Dulles with a maximum altitude of FL240.

Thanks Mario, for my VOX ATC training flights I usually use SKORR1.

Igor.

Karl Mathias Moberg

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • NYARTCC
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 04:37:40 PM »
Just remember SKORR1 is only valid off rwy 31.

Karl Mathias Moberg (KM) - C3/I1
New York ARTCC
ZNY Air Traffic Manager

Igor Petrov

• Members
    • View Profile
Preferred RWYs question
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »
Quote from: Karl Mathias Moberg
Just remember SKORR1 is only valid off rwy 31.

Good point, since I did use it for other rwys too in my flights.

Thanks,
Igor.