Discord Question

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
Discord Question
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »
I have encountered an issue with Discord that I cannot resolve.  Not sure if anybody else has had this issue or not.  I can not open the app from my desktop anymore.  The only way that I can access Discord is to actually type in the address of the Discord.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Mark Hubbert
Division Director VATUSA Retired

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Discord Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
This happened to me last week. I had to uninstall and reinstall Discord. Something with their updater messed up my installation.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:12:37 PM »
This happened a lot when Discord was a newer application. If you click Discord and it doesn't open, open your task manager and verify that it shows the process running. If it does kill it and try again. If it persists and doesn't want to open, try running it as an administrator. Right click the shortcut (or right click the taskbar icon, and right click the program name) and click Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, and check the Administrator box. If that still doesn't fix it, uninstall and reinstall it.
Ryan Parry - 965346
Pilot Central

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
What Ryan said. I still have about a 1/5 chance of having to force close the process through task manager and launching it manually.  >:(

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)
Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:55:15 PM »
I had this problem a long time ago - following Ryan's Compatability>Administrator method, it went away.
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 08:58:57 PM »
Thank You guys for the response.  I think Dhruv has the fix because it started with an update and when I try to open the program it shows that it is updating and then goes away.  I will try all of your suggestions.  Thank You guys
Mark Hubbert

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 12:10:08 PM »
I have tried all of the suggestions to no avail. 
Mark Hubbert

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »
I have tried all of the suggestions to no avail.
I had an issue a few months ago where I tried to uninstall then reinstall Discord and was stuck in an "updating" loop.  The final solution offered to me by their tech support team was to upgrade to a Beta version of it.  That worked.  Never did solve why the stable version couldn't be completely uninstalled -- we hunted down directories in the \User\{x}\Roaming and several other system directories, even.  Still nothing worked.

Anyway, long story short -- contact their tech support; they can walk you through some other higher-end things to try.
Cheers,
-R.