Can it run P3D??

Christopher Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
Can it run P3D??
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:41:31 AM »
Hello one and all. I'm getting a new laptop in a couple days and wanted to make the switch from FSX to P3D, but I wanted to know if said laptop's specs would be enough to run it. Keep in mind that I will have payware aircraft like PMDG and so forth, but leaving it mostly vanilla apart from that.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H quad core 2.3 GHz boosting to 4 (most reviews I've seen say that it clocks in the mid to high 3's 99% of the time)

Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christopher

Christopher Davis
Controller 1
Salt Lake City ARTCC

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Can it run P3D??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
Hello one and all. I'm getting a new laptop in a couple days and wanted to make the switch from FSX to P3D, but I wanted to know if said laptop's specs would be enough to run it. Keep in mind that I will have payware aircraft like PMDG and so forth, but leaving it mostly vanilla apart from that.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H quad core 2.3 GHz boosting to 4 (most reviews I've seen say that it clocks in the mid to high 3's 99% of the time)

Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christopher

From the specs listed, I would say yes. However, I get a little jittery when it comes to wanting to run something like FSX or P3D on a laptop (just by nature of it being a laptop!). If this were a desktop, I'd say that you're set. When I was running an AMD box (no later than 2010), I had no problem with it. The only thing I would be sure of is to make sure that the video card is a discrete card (read: not integrated onto the CPU). It doesn't sound like it, because if it has 6GB of memory on its own, it's definitely discrete.

If it can handle any other major games out there (pick one: WoW, Diablo, whatever the gamers are playing now), head over to Anandtech and see if there are any benchmarks for those games with that card. If it looks good, then you're set, as they would be more graphics intensive than a flight simulator. And also just be sure to watch out for heating.

BL.

Lance Harry

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
I would definitely say that could run Prepar3D. I am running these specs on medium to high settings and I range from 30-45 FPS. Sometimes 60 at airports with crappy scenery. I am running the sim on a 1TB hard drive as well.

GTX 1070ti 8GB GDDR5
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
16GB DDR4 RAM
Lance Harry - LH
ZMP - Deputy Air Traffic Manager
[email protected]

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »
You can't compare a desktop SKU to a mobile SKU, just because it is a Ryzen 7 doesn't mean the performance will match. The 3750H is a quad core chip with a 35W TDP, versus a 2700X which is an 8 core chip with a 105W TDP. PassMark shows the 2700X having nearly double the score of a 3750H. The good news is P3D still loves single threaded performance, and the PassMark bench puts the 3750H in range of a 2700X. I'd say this laptop would work at low-medium settings provided you can keep it cool and it doesn't start to throttle. I'd highly recommend a desktop with a better CPU in it, but if you just have to have a laptop, this would work...in theory anyway.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3750H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3441vs3238
Ryan Parry - 965346
Pilot Central

Christopher Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
You can't compare a desktop SKU to a mobile SKU, just because it is a Ryzen 7 doesn't mean the performance will match. The 3750H is a quad core chip with a 35W TDP, versus a 2700X which is an 8 core chip with a 105W TDP. PassMark shows the 2700X having nearly double the score of a 3750H. The good news is P3D still loves single threaded performance, and the PassMark bench puts the 3750H in range of a 2700X. I'd say this laptop would work at low-medium settings provided you can keep it cool and it doesn't start to throttle. I'd highly recommend a desktop with a better CPU in it, but if you just have to have a laptop, this would work...in theory anyway.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3750H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3441vs3238

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I have to have a laptop since my current living situation prevents me from having a desktop set up. I knew that mobile CPU's were less powerful than their desktop counterparts, but I still feel confident that it can run P3D at reasonable settings. Like I said earlier the only thing I'll buy is payware planes. I've never been into payware scenery, ORBX, and other related stuff. The scenery that P3D comes with will be more than adequate for me. Before with FSX I just downloaded freeware AFCAD's off of AVSIM of airports just to have the airport in the sim match what's on the charts.

Christopher Davis
Controller 1
Salt Lake City ARTCC

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
Wait until, someday, you can get payware scenery.  It will change your life!  :)
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA