Centers and airspaces

Ohad Chait

• Members
    • View Profile
Centers and airspaces
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »
When I fly in Israel, if there is a large control like approach, control center etc. they control the airports in their airspace if there isn't ATC there. Is this the same here in the USA ? If it does, how do I now if the large control controls the airport I want to take-off from or reach to?

Ohad Chait

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Centers and airspaces
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »
Ohad,

The same concept applies here in the US. The best way to determine which airspace you are in is to use a tool such as ServInfo or VATSpy. You could also look up the information on Sky Vector (www.skyvector.com).

Ohad Chait

• Members
    • View Profile
Centers and airspaces
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
Of course that I use the Servinfo, but how do I understand from there about the airports that the control controls on? The controllers usually don't write it.. Saw it just once...

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Centers and airspaces
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »
It's a top down service, so you would want to contact someone in the same order as you described in your first post. However, you may be flying into what we call uncontrolled fields, which will only receive approach services. The best thing to do in this situation is to either read the ARTCC's website, or simply ask the controller when you are online. You would only need to ask APP/DEP or CTR, since tower will only control at the airport specified in their callsign.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:36:39 PM by Alex Bailey »

Ohad Chait

• Members
    • View Profile
Centers and airspaces
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
OK.. Thanks:)