Emergency Procedures?

Paul Welsch

• Members
    • View Profile
Emergency Procedures?
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:28:59 PM »
Hello all,

What happened to me today in the server was a joke.  Left KSEA in B752 talked with SEA-CTR, no ATC in between.  Talked to DFW Center, No Problem.  GO to DFW Approach, no comms working, only chat.  I just spoke with Ctr at hand-off, switch freqs. No response from App,  Left msg in Box,  30 secs to response.  Controller gives me clearence to decend,  read back on radio.  Controller types in chat that I need to read Back.  Typed a read back.  Obviously controller and I can't hear each other!

In Life, you recognise the problem.  You know what the aircraft is going to do he filed a FP.  You don't know if the pilot can hear you, so you ask the pilot to make a 60 deg turn.  If he hears, he makes the turn, you know he can hear you.  If not you have a problem, and as the aircraft gets closer you clear space for him to land.  Other aircraft may have to hold, some may be able to follow in a visual approach.  Whatever it takes!!  What you Don't do is have a fit, put nasty notes in the flight strip, and whine like a baby.  Remember No chatbox in real life folks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:31:06 PM by Paul Welsch »

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
Emergency Procedures?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
No, you're right, that (have a fit, put nasty notes in the flight strip, and whine like a baby) is not the right thing to do. And having experienced it, which it sounds like you did, the best course of action at this point would be to bring it to the attention of the facility staff so they can look into it, address it, and prevent if from re-occurring.

I would encourage you to do just that.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Emergency Procedures?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:51:02 AM »
Hi Paul,

It appears you may have double posted.  Please see my response to you in the Fort Worth ARTCC forum.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Paul Byrne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bostonartcc.net
Emergency Procedures?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »
Hi Paul,

Quick question.
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Remember No chatbox in real life folks.[/quote]
Did you, by chance refuse to use text with the controller and therefore not readback any further instructions?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]If not you have a problem, and as the aircraft gets closer you clear space for him to land. Other aircraft may have to hold, some may be able to follow in a visual approach. Whatever it takes!![/quote]
Except that this wasn't an emergency/problem or an unusual situation [on VATSIM]. You simply went from using voice to text because of some unknown glitch (it happens). Were you expecting priority handling from the controller because of this?

The controllers remarks (I had a look) were rude. But if I may quote from your double post in the ZFW forum
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]It amazes me how many controllers forget they are performing a service, not sitting like God in a tower[/quote]
Although controllers on VATSIM do provide a service, they're not being paid for it. Please, don't be surprised if things like this continue to happen to you if you have an attitude like that when you deal with controllers.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]What you Don't do is have a fit, put nasty notes in the flight strip, and whine like a baby.[/quote]
And what you don't do is have a fit, put nasty notes in the forum and whine like a baby. There are ways and means of dealing with a situation like this. This is not one of them. Contact the ARTCC.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:39:18 AM by Paul Byrne »