“Line Up and Wait” - Effective Sep. 30th 2010

Chris McGee

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
You do it at the movie theater, the supermarket, as well as your favorite coffee shop on the way to work: You line up and wait. And, after September 30, 2010, you may also be asked to do it at your local towered airport.

http://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/20.../JulAug2010.pdf

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »

This does not say that this is going to be in effect on 9/30. This states that it is expected to be there, at the time that the briefing went to press, but is not etched anywhere in stone. Until the FAA comes out with a Notice, similar to the 7110.532, line up and wait won't exist.

BL.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »
Quote from: Brad Littlejohn
This does not say that this is going to be in effect on 9/30. This states that it is expected to be there, at the time that the briefing went to press, but is not etched anywhere in stone. Until the FAA comes out with a Notice, similar to the 7110.532, line up and wait won't exist.

BL.

Agreed. You'll see an actual notice that specifically says it is changing paragraphs of FAAO 7110.65, list the paragraphs, and the actual changes.

Alex Evins

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nyartcc.org
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »
Quote from: Alex Evins
Official word is that the use of ICAO TIPH terminology is to commence on September 30th.

Warned you  

Owen Catherwood

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:29:52 PM »
It's in the notices now, will be effective Sept 30:

Full notice (PDF)

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]b. First state the runway number followed by the line up and wait clearance.
PHRASEOLOGY-
RUNWAY (number), LINE UP AND WAIT[/quote]

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
I was indifferent with the "taxi via" phraseology they implemented a few weeks ago, but this one is a little bit over the top. One thing I don't get is why they removed "taxi into" from "taxi into position and hold" several years ago. To me, adding the command "taxi into" would make it much more clear from really any perspective, from native English to learning it as a second language. "Position and hold," which is essentially the opposite of "hold position" seems like it would be a less desireable way to communicate "taxi into position and hold."

This is an unnecessary change. I actually find it funny to read "In July 2000, the NTSB recommended the FAA...revise U.S. policy to require the use of "line up and wait" rather than "position and hold." I think after 10 years of virtually no problem, that recommendation should have been voided. 10 years to implement this?

If you care to be technical:
They're not changing 3-9-4-c. to say "Traffic waiting in position?" After reading through the whole new "LUAW" section on the change notice (see link above), and then seeing "RUNWAY (number), CONTINUE, TRAFFIC HOLDING IN POSITION," that actually confused me for a couple seconds and made me think aircraft is holding short of the runway. After realizing that would be an unnecessary statement, it clicked again. Shouldn't the term "holding" from the soon-to-be-old TIPH phraseology be changed to "waiting (in)," so that it's "TRAFFIC WAITING IN POSITION" or (from 3-9-4-k) "United Five, Runway FOur, line up and wait, traffic holding Runway Three-One."

Clint Wallis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
Hi all

Thought this was interesting as in the UK we have been using the term "line up and wait" for some time

Normally used in the context, "United two four one, line up and wait runway two six left"

or "American two two, line up and wait runway two six left behind the British Airways seven three seven, lining up via Bravo one"

or "Virgin two seven after the landing company seven four seven, line up and wait runway two six left."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:58:07 AM by Clint Wallis »

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »
A minor pen and ink change to N JO 7110.536, Line Up and Wait (LUAW) Operations, effective September 30, 2010, has been posted.  The only change can be found on page 2.

This change is intended to allow Controller discretion with phraseology usage and reduce potential workload associated with the requirements of paragraph 3-9-4d.

The changed version may be found at: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/N...N7110.536PI.pdf

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
Wow.