Questions about becoming an act

Eric Chen

• Members
    • View Profile
Questions about becoming an act
« on: July 26, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to VATUSA and is currently thinking of taking the open book exam to become an ATC. But I'm not really sure how much experience do I need (eg. hours of flying etc) to do so. Appreciate if the answer can be provided

Thx

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about becoming an act
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
Hey Eric,

Welcome to VATUSA! You don't need any experience at all with anything. Instructors and mentors at your home ARTCC will train you assuming you have no background. Although some time flying may be helpful, you'll be able to be as successful regardless.

Read through the CBT then take the exam (while re-reviewing sections that may have been unclear). Good luck!

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to VATUSA and is currently thinking of taking the open book exam to become an ATC. But I'm not really sure how much experience do I need (eg. hours of flying etc) to do so. Appreciate if the answer can be provided

Thx

Flying and controlling are two very different activities.  Flying hours won't necessarily help you control just the same as controlling hours won't help you fly.  As previously stated, feel free to jump in and you'll be taught everything you need to know.

Eric Chen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:30:26 AM »
Thank You everyone for your answers, I will take the test as soon as I get my new computer.

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
Thank You everyone for your answers, I will take the test as soon as I get my new computer.
Why wait for a computer?  There's no expiration on the exam.  Once you pass it, you have passed it.  Also, the ATC applications could run on most dinosaurs.

Eric Chen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »
Why wait for a computer?  There's no expiration on the exam.  Once you pass it, you have passed it.  Also, the ATC applications could run on most dinosaurs.

Not on a Mac though. VRC nor Euorscope works.

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
You can still take the exam while you're waiting. And people (including myself) have gotten both softwares to work on a Mac. Just search "VRC Mac VATSIM" in Google and topics should pop up.

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
You can still take the exam while you're waiting. And people (including myself) have gotten both softwares to work on a Mac. Just search "VRC Mac VATSIM" in Google and topics should pop up.

One of these days I'll figure out how to do it.