Which ARTCC to join?

Thomas Freedman

• Members
    • View Profile
Which ARTCC to join?
« on: May 07, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
Hello all, new VATUSA member here with some questions.

I'm looking for an ARTCC with the optimal balance of realism, traffic, and availability of controller slots; my real-world location is in California. I'll include my impressions of the best centers for each characteristic, based on what I've read/seen, and would greatly appreciate any additions or comments.

Realism: I've heard a lot about ZNY, ZBW, and ZDC in this regard; ZNY has been particularly recommended for a realistic environment.

Traffic: ZDV and ZMA have been pointed out as some of the busiest centers in VATUSA

Availability of controller slots/training: ZLA and ZMA seem to have some of the most rigorous training programs, as well as high availability of training and controlling opportunities.

I would very much appreciate any input from forum members regarding this.

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
Re: Which ARTCC to join?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »
Don't forget about us in Hawaii  ;D

At the end of the day, it's about what you want to do as a community member in addition to what airspace you want to work. For me, I did my initial training at ZME but eventually made my way to HCF where I am today. People will argue all day about which ARTCC is the "best." There is no "best" ARTCC for everyone. It's about what YOU want and what's best for YOU.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Matt Bromback

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »
Hello all, new VATUSA member here with some questions.

I'm looking for an ARTCC with the optimal balance of realism, traffic, and availability of controller slots; my real-world location is in California. I'll include my impressions of the best centers for each characteristic, based on what I've read/seen, and would greatly appreciate any additions or comments.

Realism: I've heard a lot about ZNY, ZBW, and ZDC in this regard; ZNY has been particularly recommended for a realistic environment.

Traffic: ZDV and ZMA have been pointed out as some of the busiest centers in VATUSA

Availability of controller slots/training: ZLA and ZMA seem to have some of the most rigorous training programs, as well as high availability of training and controlling opportunities.

I would very much appreciate any input from forum members regarding this.

Welcome to VATUSA!

I would take the time and find out different ARTCC's Teamspeak info and talk to some people, get a feel for what that ARTCC is doing. Ask questions, lots of questions! No better way to find out if your going to like a place then to talk to some people and see if it's a fit for you.

IMHO every ARTCC in VATUSA strives to have a good balance of realism, and fun! To me its about the community aspect of it, do they hang out on TS just chat sometimes, do they play other games when not controlling, are they people who like to fly when not controlling, etc...

Just my 2 cents, hope you find a good fit!

Matt Bromback

Thomas Freedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
Which centers tend to have more GA/light commercial traffic? I'd ideally prefer that over Class Bravo airspace.

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »
Which centers tend to have more GA/light commercial traffic? I'd ideally prefer that over Class Bravo airspace.

You'll get all of it everywhere.  ZHU, for example, has two bravo airports, but we still get lots of GA, including up and under the Houston bravo.

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »

ZAN probably handles some of the lowest levels of traffic in terms of major (designated) airspace per ARTCC, but you won't find TOO much GA until the CTR level.  If the levels are what you're looking for, take a look at them... 

HCF might be a path for you since they handle a good amount of VFR traffic, I imagine due to the tourist bits of it - and they don't have too much traffic for you to get overwhelmed with.
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Thomas Freedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:42 PM »
I'm assuming not too many people actually operate out of Hawaii in real life? Would the time zone gap be an issue, or is it generally possible to bridge with appropriate scheduling?

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 02:46:23 PM »
I'm assuming not too many people actually operate out of Hawaii in real life? Would the time zone gap be an issue, or is it generally possible to bridge with appropriate scheduling?

Most of our guys are in CDT or EDT, but one is in PDT.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC

Thomas Freedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »
Does the amount of traffic in HCF tend to peak during (Hawaii) daytime, or is it relatively consistent from morning to evening?

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
Does the amount of traffic in HCF tend to peak during (Hawaii) daytime, or is it relatively consistent from morning to evening?

Much of the HCF traffic comes from the mainland, typically from LAX and other nearby fields.  I'd expect those flights towards the late afternoon and evening for the mainland timezones.
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »

Most of the people that fly in Hawaii are not physically located in Hawaii, so the most popular times are the evenings on the mainland.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC

Derek Vento

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »
Be sure to take into account how some ARTCCs have toxic teamspeak servers LOL! Some require tough skin to say the least...and others, a good sense of humor.

Best of luck my friend!

DK
Derek Vento
Air Traffic Controller Atlanta TRACON
Host of The Traffic Pattern Podcast

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »
Boston (ZBW aka BVARTCC) has a strong pilot community integrated with their ATC community which brings a lot of GA traffic, particularly in the Cape Cod area.

Can't speak at all to their general level of ATC training availability.  My guess is it's pretty decent.
Cheers,
-R.

Andrew OConnell

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 09:02:45 PM »
First, to start, welcome to VATUSA!
To piggy back off of what many have been saying, the choice of ARTCC depends on what you would prefer and want. If you  want light traffic and a tight-knit community, talk to ZAN (you're welcome Brin). If you want a busy Charlie within a Bravo in one of the busiest airport areas of the world, come to ZAU (where I'm at, shameless plug  ;)). Go anywhere you want; there is no ranking of "best" places to go.
Good luck and have fun!
Andrew O'Connell - 1295977
ZAU Mentor

Kyle Ekas

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »
In my experience, every ARTCC has its own culture. It is difficult to judge an ARTCC's culture until you actually go there and experience it for yourself. Some ARTCCs are very different than others and the only way is to experience them. Don't like where you are? You can transfer to another ARTCC 1 time every 90 days, so you have that option available to you.

K