Can i fly the cirrus vision sf50 on vatsim?

Nolan Bowen

• Members
    • View Profile
Can i fly the cirrus vision sf50 on vatsim?
« on: December 22, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »
So im looking to start my first few flights on vatsim but i wanted to start with a plane that im comfortable with and was hoping to start with the cirrus vision but when i look at the simbrief stuff i dont see it and dont know if i would be able to use it. If i can use it. Also what does it mean by true speed when im going to file a flight plan? Thank you

Steven Fedor

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Re: Can i fly the cirrus vision sf50 on vatsim?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 04:53:43 PM »
You can fly just about whatever you want on vatsim. Just make sure you’re proficient in your aircraft before you try flying into the middle of an event or something.

True airspeed (TAS) is the calibrated airspeed of the aircraft corrected for altitude and nonstandard temperature.

Matthew Kramer

• ZLA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
Some users had a problem with the Vision Jet in X-Plan and XSquawkBox. Just make sure you can properly turn on Mode C.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:46:02 AM by Matthew Kramer »
Matthew Kramer
ZLA DATM

Matt Bromback

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 07:37:44 AM »
So im looking to start my first few flights on vatsim but i wanted to start with a plane that im comfortable with and was hoping to start with the cirrus vision but when i look at the simbrief stuff i dont see it and dont know if i would be able to use it. If i can use it. Also what does it mean by true speed when im going to file a flight plan? Thank you

The only thing I believe SimBrief looks at when selecting a aircraft is the performance profiles for more accurate fuel burn, efficient altitudes, etc...I would personally just select a citation or something similar, what you don't want to do is select a C172 or other small prop as it may assign you a low altitude prop only route. Once you let SimBrief make a FP for you, on the bottom of the page there are multiple formats to download the FP, scroll down to select your X-Plane version, there is a ? next to them for instructions to install also.

Don't worry to much about TAS, again this is used for fuel planning purposes in SimBrief. For VATSIM purposes its there basically for added realism, nothing practical comes out of filing it the proper way.
Matt Bromback

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 08:50:57 AM »
You can fly just about whatever you want on vatsim.

Just about, but not everything!

https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=38248
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Scott Greene

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »

Hi Nolan. Welcome to Vatsim! I encourage you to use the Vision Jet as it's an easy-to-fly starter aircraft that has avionics that can help you learn to fly IFR routes. It's also slower so you'll have some extra time for decision-making. I use the the Vision jet frequently on the network as it's a fun little aircraft for short legs. Don't worry too much about SimBrief not having support for the SF50 either. SimBrief is an excellent tool for the community but it is not all-encompassing. Generally, for GA use it omits some air-frames but Vatsim will permit most GA aircraft. The only caveats would be ensuring you have the proper equipment type filed for your aircraft and the airspace you want to fly in.

Hope you were able to get your questions answered and we will see you on the network soon!