How do I get better at talking?

Kadin Ritchie

• Members
    • View Profile
How do I get better at talking?
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:37:19 PM »
Talking to ATC isn't my strong side. Does anyone have tips to help?
Kadin Ritchie
Captain of Plane
N727H
------------------------------------------------------------------
C172
N727H

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get better at talking?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »
Talking to ATC isn't my strong side. Does anyone have tips to help?

sure!

First off, and this is probably going to be the hardest one to do, though the most important: RELAX. To paraphrase Mr. Miyagi in The Karate Kid, Pt. II:

Rule #1: Relax.
Rule #2: First, learn Rule #1.

You already have enough to do with flying your aircraft without having to build up the anxiety of also talking to ATC. But if you've read and understood the AIM and what phrases and phraseology you are recommended to use you will do fine.

Not sure how new you are to the network, but you could always put "New Pilot" or "Working on talking to ATC" in the comments section. While ATC is bound by the 7110.65 for phraseology, that doesn't mean that that is the only thing we must use on frequency. Case in point: one of the controllers at Lake Charles Regional (KLCH) was helping a student pilot to land, as the pilot failed two previous attempts to land. The controller combined ATC phraseology with straight English (helped that he was a pilot as well) and talked her all the way down.

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcaviation-audio-clips/archie-awards-klch/

Additionally, have a listen to a couple of LiveATC feeds, or just sit, observe, and listen to other pilots on frequency and how they interact with ATC. You'll get a feel for what to say and how to say it (I'd prefer the LiveATC feeds to be honest).

And if all else fails, just picture ATC doing a silk scarfed belly dance in front of Simon Cowell for a <insert country here>'s Got Talent audition. Better yet, imagine if you're Simon having to sit there and watch it. That laughter alone will help you overcome your fear ;) (or perhaps reinforce it!  ;D )

BL.

Christopher Lajoie

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get better at talking?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:38:28 AM »
Kadin,

First of all, I would like to echo Brads thoughts above - listening to the professionals is a great learning tool. As far as developing yourself - I would suggest taking advantage of VATSIM's Pilot Training Center (https://ptd.vatsim.net/). This is a voluntary ratings program which will teach you the fundamentals of flying on the network in style. Once you have the knowledge, you will develop confidence - and once that happens, you have the keys to the network.

Welcome to the world of VATSIM -
Christopher Lajoie, C3 - 945572
VATUSA Support Services | Social Media Team Lead
Catch me on Discord! @christopherlajoie
[email protected]