Handoff vs. Transfer of Control

William Lewis

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »
On many occasions I have seen people not understand the difference between a handoff and transfer of control. Whom ever has track control does not mean they always also have "control" (the ability to turn, climb/descend, adjust speed etc.). Control only comes from either airspace jurisdiction, verbal coordination with the controller operating the airspace the aircraft resides in, or by letter of agreement. A Handoff is not a transfer of control. A Handoff is a transfer or radar identification where communications will be changed.

Lets first review when transfer of control occurs. Emphasis mine.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]2-1-15. CONTROL TRANSFER

c. Assume control of an aircraft only after it is in your area of jurisdiction unless specifically coordinated or as specified by letter of agreement or a facility directive.[/quote]

So to review, control of the aircraft does not occur after handoff, but after the aircraft crosses the boundary of the two facilities facilities and is in the receiving controllers area of jurisdiction. This is why I initiated the request for turns.

Well if a Handoff is not a transfer of control, what is it? Emphasis mine.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]5-4-2. TERMS

a. Handoff. An action taken to transfer the radar identification of an aircraft from one controller to another controller if the aircraft will enter the receiving controller's airspace and radio communications with the aircraft will be transferred.[/quote]

As we can see, a handoff does not mention anything in regards to transfer of control, therefore without coordination, the receiving controller must allow the aircraft to remain on the assigned altitude, route, heading, speed, etc. until within their area of jurisdiction. Moral of the story, if someone asks you for control for an aircraft in your airspace and you have not other traffic and/or airspace to protect, instead of providing a statement to suggest that they are not using "common sense" just give him control.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:51:35 PM by William A Lewis »
Former ZTL Air Traffic Manager
Former ZID Training Admin

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:43 PM »
Didn't have to read all of the supporting quotes to know that my understanding aligns with yours, but it's good to see you at least did the leg work.

VATSIM is indeed a learning environment, and it sounds like the staff of the other facility has an opportunity to learn something (such as the fundamental of radar control - what a handoff is).

EDIT: Heck, if we want to talk "common sense"... was this vectoring something that could potentially be done on a regular basis? If so, then one might consider looking at the nearby airspace to determine if it would make sense to update the LOA to include something to the tune of:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]A radar handoff and communications transfer constitute transfer of control for turns up to 20 degrees and transponder code change without coordination.[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:13:34 PM by Brad Grafelman »

William Lewis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:15:20 PM »
Quote from: Brad Grafelman
EDIT: Heck, if we want to talk "common sense"... was this vectoring something that could potentially be done on a regular basis? If so, then one might consider looking at the nearby airspace to determine if it would make sense to update the LOA to include something to the tune of:

A month or two ago, I have submitted an LOA proposal which included a statement for control for turns and descents but awaiting a response.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:19:32 PM by William A Lewis »

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:56:16 PM »
Will is correct.  And I'm glad that an LOA update has been requested; that makes sense if you're going to do enough of it.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Mike Willey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »
YUP, agree to all of this .. If I think that there is some question from the receiving controller I will send him a PM wiht "Cleared for turns and descent".
Mike Willey - WY
vZBW Training Administrator (Retired)
[email protected]

Chris McGee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
I also agree with the above points. With that said, maybe you can remove all the "extra" information above the teaching points section. This would then be a great long term informational post outlining the differences between the two.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:04:29 PM by Christopher S. McGee »

William Lewis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
Quote from: Christopher S. McGee
I also agree with the above points. With that said, maybe you can remove all the "extra" information above the teaching points section. This would then be a great long term informational post outlining the differences between the two.

Good Idea, I have probably done enough to diminish inter-facility relations for the week.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:32:01 PM by William A Lewis »