Cross the Gulf Event Helping Sandy Victim

Salvatore Barcia

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:42:18 PM »
[img]http://www.crossthegulf.com/ctgobb.jpg\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

It gives me great pleasure to announce that planning has begun for Cross the Gulf Westbound 2013. Last year, the westbound leg raised money for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. This year, we're raising money for the Red Cross.  I lost a few friends and some of my family members lost their homes because of the storm. For those who haven't seen my story on the news, I've been helping a Staten Island resident during my volunteering time with the New York State Nursing Association. My co-workers and I treated a Sandy victim who was having an asthma attack, his name is Eddie Saman. He has no family and his house got destroyed during the hurricane; he lost all of his belongings. I was able to gather a bunch of donations for Eddie, but then his home went up in flames and he's now back at ground zero; all of the donations were ruined in the blaze. This man hasn't gotten a break and it's very sad. On top of all his troubles, he was discriminated against by a FEMA inspector! Last year we raised a lot of money that was donated towards research for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. We did it once and we can do it again. Eddie is now receiving shelter and hot meals complementary of the Red Cross. There are hundreds of families that are suffering just like Eddie. If you donate to the Red Cross, your donation will help fund hot meals and shelter. The Red Cross needs your help!  If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]. To learn more about Eddie Saman, click on the media coverage links below. Just remember, there's hundreds of people suffering just like him.

To make a donation to the Red Cross, visit www.crossthegulf.com

Pilots will be traveling east to west across the Gulf of Mexico enjoying never before seen ATC Staffing. We plan on having the event on January 27, 2013. We are advising the Vatsim Community early because we want as many ideas as possible.  This is your chance to sound off! Please let us know all of your ideas that come to mind. We should be announcing the airport selections and routing sometime in the next few weeks. We are expecting a huge turnout for this event, and I'm sure that it will be an amazing experience for all who participate. If you'd like to join the planning team, please send your resume to [email protected].

Media Coverage on Eddie Saman

Eyewitness News (ABC): click here

NY1 News: first story click here
second story click here

Pix11 News: click here

New York Post: click here
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:06:24 PM by Salvatore Barcia »

Nicola Felini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
Has this event been approved in accordance with VATSIM policy?

VATSIM Forum
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:19:06 AM by Nicola Felini »

Kyle Ramsey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »
Quote from: Nicola Felini
Has this event been approved in accordance with VATSIM policy?

VATSIM Forum

After a few edits to come into compliance with VATSIM policies, this event has been issued VATSIM Approved Charity Certificate #9.