Super Separation

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Super Separation
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:45:41 PM »
Courtesy of the Boston ARTCC:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Team Boston,  

The FAA has issued FAA Notice 7110.541, effective 01 Oct 2010, that addresses separation standards when dealing with Airbus A388 aircraft

Summary of Changes:

1. Enroute and terminal separation rules have been modified to add consideration for the A388.  
2. Visual separation rules found in 7110.65 7-2 are NOT to be used with A388s.
3. Append the expression "SUPER" after the aircraft callsign (much like we append "HEAVY" for heavies).

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
5. Procedures. Standard air traffic control procedures contained in FAA Order JO 7110.65 and facility letters of agreement must be applied in support of the A388 with the following additions/changes:

a. EN ROUTE.
1. Small/large/heavy behind an A388 - 5 miles.
2. When transitioning to terminal airspace - provide a minimum of 10 miles spacing.
3. Include the expression “SUPER” immediately after the aircraft call sign in communications with a terminal facility about A388 operations, and when issuing traffic advisories regarding an A388.
4. Visual separation rules specified in FAA Order JO 7110.65, chapter 7, section 2, must not be applied with respect to the A388.

b. TERMINAL.
1. Separate aircraft operating directly behind or directly behind and less than 1,000 feet below by:
NOTE Consider parallel runways less than 2,500 feet apart as a single runway because of the possible effects of wake turbulence.
   ( a ) Heavy behind A388 - 6 miles.
   ( b ) Large behind A388 - 8 miles.
   ( c ) Small behind A388 - 10 miles.
   ( d ) When applying wake turbulence separation criteria for terminal operations that are defined in minutes, add 1 additional minute.
2. Use the expression "SUPER" immediately after the aircraft call sign in all communications with or about an A388.
3. Visual separation rules specified in FAA Order JO 7110.65, chapter 7, section 2, must not be applied with respect to the A388.[/quote][/quote]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:46:58 PM by Don Desfosse »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Super Separation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »
I thought they had gotten rid of "SUPER" a while back. Has that been renewed?

There's also a news source reporting the FAA has begun requiring aircraft landing behind the 787 (all variants) to have 10 miles of in-trail spacing. I can't find the actual documentation to show that, however.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boei...syndication=rss

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Super Separation
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
I thought they had gotten rid of "SUPER" a while back. Has that been renewed?

There's also a news source reporting the FAA has begun requiring aircraft landing behind the 787 (all variants) to have 10 miles of in-trail spacing. I can't find the actual documentation to show that, however.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boei...syndication=rss

I can maybe see the B747-8, but I have to call bollocks on the B787, mainly because of the variant models.

The B783 has a lighter MTOW than all of the B767 models, and the heaviest variant (B789), is a little over half the MTOW of the B744. There would be no way that those would require more separation than what is available for most heavy jets.

Now, the B748i, I can see. It has a slightly lower MTOW than the A380. But the B787 variants? I seriously doubt it. just based off the numbers, it should fall under the same separation standards as any other heavy jet.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Super Separation
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:03:51 PM »

Found a bit more, Harold.

The FAA did post JO7110.542 for B748 and B787 test flights, but that has been subsequently cancelled. New standards should come out the closer they get to entering service.

BL.

Salvatore Barcia

• Members
    • View Profile
Super Separation
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
Thanks for this Don!

Alex Evins

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nyartcc.org
Super Separation
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »
They cancelled N JO 7110.542, citing:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Due to the need to re-evaluate the wake standard for the B747-8 and the B787, as well as to add a necessary requirement to the Terminal separation criteria, AJT-2 needs to cancel this notice.  A separate notice for each of the two aircraft will be issued at a later date.[/quote]