Bob Carmona Retires

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Bob Carmona Retires
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
It is with bittersweet emotion that I announce the retirement of Bob Carmona from the role of VATUSA Deputy Director.  Bob has been my compadre, right hand man, voice of reason, partner in crime, and a very, very good friend to me, to VATUSA and to VATSIM during his tenure as Deputy Director, and I will miss him and our fireside chats very, very much.  I tried to convince Bob that since he's retired from his RW profession, he couldn't do that here, too, but he didn't buy it.   He said he needed more time to chase incredible looking women (don't tell his wife!).  Just kidding about that, but he explained that he's spending so much more time with his grandkids and just having such a ball with them, he'd just plain rather do that for a while.  I'm hoping that after they tire him out a bit, he'll return them like a well-enjoyed library book and come back to us, but in the meantime, having little kids of my own and knowing how important it is to enjoy them while you can, I respect and support Bob's choice.  I've let him know about a million times how much I'll miss him and that the welcome (back) mat is always out.  Or kinda like Motel 6 -- we'll leave the light on for him.

I have asked Tom Seeley to step up and become our Deputy Director.  Tom's most recent assignment has been as the Northeast Regional Air Traffic Director, and he served us as the Western Regional Air Traffic Director prior to that.  He has also served us well as Interim Training Director.  Tom is knowledgeable, reasonable, approachable and pretty darned normal; hard qualities to find wrapped up in one package on VATSIM.   He will serve us well going forward; we continue to be in good hands.

Please join me in wishing Bob well in retirement (and encouraging him to come back and reignite his passion for VATSIM), and congratulating Tom on his promotion.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
Bob will certainly be missed.  He has provided excellent advice to me on more than one occasion and I came to respect both his opinion and the manner in which it was delivered.  As someone who enjoys spending time with his own grandson I can certainly empathize with his decision.  I wish him well and hope that he will at some point decide to lend us his talents once again.

As to his replacement, I can't say enough good things about Tom Seeley. He is Mr. Everything as far as I am concerned and I want him to know here and now that if he should require any assistance at all we here at New York ARTCC, and me personally, will assist him in any way that we can.  Good luck Tom.
Ira Robinson

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
You will be missed, Bob. One of the good guys in VATUSA for a long, long time. Enjoy the beer!
Ryan Geckler - GK
VATUSA9 | Traffic Management Unit Director
Former VATUSA3 | Division Training Director
Minneapolis ARTCC | RW Miami ARTCC

Colin Schoen

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:35:36 PM »
Thanks Bob and best of luck in your new role TS.
Colin Schoen
VATSIM Membership Manager
VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:21 AM »
Definitely a tough loss for the division losing Bob, but family comes first always. Tom has big shoes to fill, but I can't think of a better man for the job. Best wishes and congrats!
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Bob Carmona

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
Thanks Don! You are awesome!!!

I have been a member of VATSIM since 2006. Along the way I have had some of the very best times of my life. I have made some great friends along the way and already find myself missing them. The decision to leave VATSIM has been a very hard one for me. It has been such a big part of my life for so long it will be/is very strange to even say "retire" let alone do it.

With that said though, the time has come for me to move on. I just bought a fishing license for the first time in over 30 years. I plan to be taking my best little buddies fishing and my favorite girls for lots of stroller rides in the park...

I leave the Division in the very capable hands of Don and Tom. As Ira said, Tom is Mr. Everything. I cannot think of one single person better suited to help Don lead VATUSA into the future.

To all of you, especially Don and Tom, I wish you the bluest skies. You will be missed.

Radar services terminated, squawking VFR, frequency change approved...

Bob Carmona
Division Conflict Resolution Manager
VATUSA

Kevin Copeland

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »
Best wishes Bob, we'll miss you :-(

Tom, congrats I think ;-) jk.    A fine choice indeed!
Kevin Copeland
VATSIM Supervisor

Kenneth Bambach

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 04:34:13 PM »
Surprising news indeed but certainly understandable. I wish you well Bob in hopefully what is a "short term" retirement. You have been a good friend to ZMA, VATUSA ,VATSIM, and me personally.  Enjoy those fishing excursions and strolls in the park. Kids grow up way too fast.  And remember, your rocking chair is still on the porch here in South Florida

As has been said, I can't think of a better replacement than Tom, another ZMA alumni. I'm sure you have already hit the ground running Tom. With that said, we will all continue to see great things from the new Don and Tom show.  Wait....isn't that already some type of radio talk show??  Congrats Mr. Seeley

Ken Bambach
ZMA ATM

Michael Mund-Hoym

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
I am sorry to see you leave the VATUSA2 position, Bob, but I remember you telling me a few times how much you love spending time with your grandchildren. Family should, no must always come first. I thank you very much for your contributions to VATUSA and hope that you will remain active as a fellow Controller, Supervisor and Membership Manager.

Tom, congratulations on your appointment as the new VATUSA Deputy Division Director. It has been fun working with you for the past years and Don made a fine choice selecting you as Bob's successor. Best of luck and thank you for stepping up!

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. It's only solid evidence of oncoming Alzheimer's that I allowed myself to be talked into this by Don, that slick-tongued devil. I turned the job down other times over the years, and swore I'd never do it, but here I am. I can only hope to do half as well as Bob has done ... he is certainly a very tough act to follow.

Like Bob, I started on the network in 2006. Some time after that I was a visiting controller at ZOB, and Bob wrung me out real well in some sweatbox sessions. A better instructor, controller and all around friend I have yet to meet in VATSIM. Although I completely respect his leaving and the reasons for doing so, I am sincerely saddened to see it, for we will truly miss his contribution and his influence. I can only wish him the very best, and an abundance of fish on his line. Enjoy Bob, you've certainly earned it.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA

Cody Cochran

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
Little late on my reply's as usual

Thanks for all that you have done for VATUSA Bob.

Congrats Tom, best of luck in your new role!
Cody Cochran
VATSIM Supervisor
c.cochran[at]vatsim.net

Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
Thanks for your devotion to the network Bob, and enjoy the real retirement  Congratulation, Tom for your promotion - make the best of it!
Jean-Francois Desrosiers
Director, Strategic Development
VATSIM North America Region
[email protected]
VATSIM Supervisor

Sean Fox

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »
Hello Bob,

You have truly been a mentor to many, I remember when I first came to visit at Miami, you were the man with the plan and made my visiting time at Miami very enjoyable along with Ken and Mason.  

Thank you for your dedication over the many years to the community and to the hobbie, you will surely be missed, but not forgotten, enjoy the grand kids, it is a special moment for you and them and we will be right here waiting for you when they finish with you! Lol    Enjoy!!!!
Sean Fox-813579
vZHU Deputy Air Traffic Manager - DATM
vZHU Controller
VATSIM Network Supervisor
VATSIM CFI
P1, P2, P3, P4, P9

Jesse Kovacs

• Members
    • View Profile
    • vZOB ARTCC
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
Good luck Bob, and congrats Tom!
Jesse Kovacs

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob Carmona Retires
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
Bob, I am a little late posting but here it goes.  It has truly been a pleasure and honor to have experienced working with you.  I hate to see you leave but I know through our past conversations how much you enjoy your grand kids and I fully respect your decision to focus on your time with them.  Thank you for your dedication and passion to this great hobby and thank you for your leadership, advice and just overall good working relations to me personally.  Wishing you the very best.
Mark Hubbert
Division Director VATUSA Retired