Updates for Navigation?

Chad Schrieber

• Members
    • View Profile
Updates for Navigation?
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:37:24 AM »
Hello,

Only recently started flying on VATSIM and FSX:SE.  I've mostly been in UNICOM settings so far, while I try to get more familiar with operations. 

Something I noticed while working with SIDs and STARs the last few days is that I don't see the majority of the waypoints on SIDs in FSX.  I'm not sure if I'm just missing something, or if FSX (being as old as it is) is outdated, and simply doesn't have current intersections--in which case, I'm curious if this is something that can be upgraded?

I'm not even certain it actually matters yet.  The few sessions I sat in on live VATSIM-ATC, I didn't really hear any specifics called out to pilots, beyond the compulsory information from the flight plan.  I don't know if I'd be able to tell if they were following SIDs or not.

Any pointers appreciated!  Thanks!  For what it's worth, I've been flying from KMEM to KSTL.  I was trying to follow the same flight plan that appears to be regularly filed by FedEx when they run between those airports in real life.

Enrico Noia

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Updates for Navigation?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:33:56 AM »
I’m not sure that you can update the fixes in FSX, but if you are using a modern liner with an FMC you can upgrade your AIRACs with Navigraph.
Enrico Noia (EN) S3
Los Angeles ARTCC Event Coordinator and Mentor

Matt Bromback

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:13:03 AM »
You can use simbrief

https://www.simbrief.com/home/?page=home

Once you make a account (free) it can flightplan for you. After you make one you have the option of downloading the flightplan for FSX/P3D. That allows you to select flightplan from within the sim that loads it up on your GPS for you to fly. While this works, I highly caution using this method since going direct to a fix or amending the route is almost impossible. However this is the quickest/cheapest method in achieving what you want to do.

If your able to do so I would highly suggest you invest in a good payware aircraft such as PMDG 737 or a Aerosoft Airbus, something with a advanced FMS that will allow you fly routes accurately with SIDS/STARS.

Also a good investment would be a Navigraph subscription. This service provides you with updates to the AIRAC cycle which updates the FMS of the various payware aircraft. 

If you don't want to go the payware route for aircraft you can always file /A which lets us ATC know you can only navigate via traditional airways, VOR to VOR, or any Non-GPS required SID/STAR. A quick search on youtube there are plenty of videos out there to help with this. I just found this one which explains very nicely how to file/plan a IFR flight plan using only VOR navigation. By using traditional navigation VORs or fixes most likely FSX will have it in its GPS database.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOChk6vWkk

Any questions please ask!
Matt Bromback

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 07:35:02 AM »

If you don't want to go the payware route for aircraft you can always file /A which lets us ATC know you can only navigate via traditional airways, VOR to VOR, or any Non-GPS required SID/STAR. A quick search on youtube there are plenty of videos out there to help with this. I just found this one which explains very nicely how to file/plan a IFR flight plan using only VOR navigation. By using traditional navigation VORs or fixes most likely FSX will have it in its GPS database.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOChk6vWkk

Any questions please ask!

This is my go to method when I’m flying a freebie.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
Here's some information on updating the default GPS:  https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71316&p=500732#p500732
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Chad Schrieber

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:20:37 PM »
I really appreciate all of the responses, truly.

That said, as a newb who hasn't been in a real cockpit for 15 years--there's a lot of stuff thrown into those answers that have me suffering from a touch of information overload.  So, let me ask this a little differently.

1.  How do I keep from angering the ATC and other pilots when I'm flying out of/in to places, considering I'm using vanilla FSX:SE, with respect to IFR Flight Plans?  (Sounds like "/a" is a solid go-to, and just plan through FSX?)

2.  I like the idea of a higher-end pay-for plane, but I don't think I can justify that just yet, having just returned.  Perhaps in a couple of months.  That said, anything particular to look for?

3. I tried installing the stuff from aero.sors.fr, and a couple of things happened.  First, got some scenery errors.  I worked through those, and loaded up at KMEM (I have a SID printed out for that, so I had a few intersections I could look for).  I didn't find any of the intersections.  Any way to tell if the install worked, and these simply weren't there, or they're there, but the install failed?

4.  With that in mind--did I understand that response correctly?  It effectively inserts the newer fixes, intersections,  etc?

Thanks a ton.  I don't want to wear-out my welcome with the newbie questions, but this feels sort of...well...basal for the whole system.

Matthew Kramer

• ZLA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
I really appreciate all of the responses, truly.

That said, as a newb who hasn't been in a real cockpit for 15 years--there's a lot of stuff thrown into those answers that have me suffering from a touch of information overload.  So, let me ask this a little differently.

1.  How do I keep from angering the ATC and other pilots when I'm flying out of/in to places, considering I'm using vanilla FSX:SE, with respect to IFR Flight Plans?  (Sounds like "/a" is a solid go-to, and just plan through FSX?)

2.  I like the idea of a higher-end pay-for plane, but I don't think I can justify that just yet, having just returned.  Perhaps in a couple of months.  That said, anything particular to look for?

3. I tried installing the stuff from aero.sors.fr, and a couple of things happened.  First, got some scenery errors.  I worked through those, and loaded up at KMEM (I have a SID printed out for that, so I had a few intersections I could look for).  I didn't find any of the intersections.  Any way to tell if the install worked, and these simply weren't there, or they're there, but the install failed?

4.  With that in mind--did I understand that response correctly?  It effectively inserts the newer fixes, intersections,  etc?

Thanks a ton.  I don't want to wear-out my welcome with the newbie questions, but this feels sort of...well...basal for the whole system.

/A is the easiest way for you, since many SID and STAR charts can be flown that way as they are based on ground navigation radios that haven't changed. However, you need to know how to fly them which can present difficult for some. Avoid "RNAV" terminology until you have a plane capable of it.

Include "Default FSX GPS" in your flightplan remarks.
Matthew Kramer
ZLA DATM

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
File only a flight plan you can fly.  In other words, don't file fixes you don't have/can't find.  And for God's sakes, please don't plan through FSX!!!!!  It's rubbish!  I think whoever developed that "functionality" couldn't even spell the word pilot, and certainly wasn't one.... ;)    Use charts (available free from the FAA and a bajillion other sources).

Yeah, once you're ready, a lot of folks start out with the PMDG B737 NGX.  The reality is a new dimension compared to default.  I flew default for over 10 years.  Now I won't go back (at least 98+% of the time....).

Never heard of that.  And thousands of members have done it successfully.  Can you elaborate on the errors?  Remember that there are 2 updates -- one for NAVAIDs and one for Fixes....  Suggest doing both.

We were all newbs once, and all learned a ton along the way.  Hopefully, we're not only all still learning every day, but trying to share/help folks every day too. :)
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:46:00 PM »
Use charts (available free from the FAA and a bajillion other sources).

https://skyvector.com/
http://airnav.com/
https://www.aircharts.org/

We were all newbs once, and all learned a ton along the way.  Hopefully, we're not only all still learning every day, but trying to share/help folks every day too. :)

You assume we're not still newbs?  ;D
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Chad Schrieber

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:26:32 PM »
Thanks for the pointers, the chart links, etc.!

On the Aero.fr site--I think I got that worked out.  I'm now seeing fixes I expect to see.  Not really sure what went wrong the first time (I did get a scenery error, but had worked through it).  Long story short, I removed, reinstalled, re-applied, and it all came together.

Having a problem in vPilot, but I'll post a new thread on that.