ATIS by CTR controllers

Roger Curtiss

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
ATIS by CTR controllers
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:27:07 AM »
One of my pet peeves is reading a CTR controller's logon information and finding an ATIS for one airport in the sector.  More often than not the airport is not even identified.  It seems to me that a CTR controller should not post information pertaining to just one airport.  I feel it is better to have a blank login notice than to possibly confuse pilots by having them think this is the information for the airport where they are located or is their destination.

Paul Byrne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bostonartcc.net
ATIS by CTR controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
Hi Roger,

I have no problem with a CTR supplying an ATIS, as long as it is done through ATIS maker and not through their controller info. This way it is identifiable with an airport and no confusion can happen.

I agree with you that controllers placing ATIS info with no airport identifier in their controller info is confusing and with the availability of specific ATIS frequencies, it is the wrong method in creating an ATIS (VRC users).

There's always the chance that we have guys using ASRC. In that case, it should be made clear what airport the ATIS info is for.

Cheers!

Justin A. Martin

• Members
    • View Profile
ATIS by CTR controllers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
I think Roger's point was, if you're going to make a voice ATIS it's fine, but there's no reason to put weather information in the controller information area when on CTR regardless of your radar client. I personally agree with this. I think the controller info should be non-weather related information for pilots. If the controller wants he can use the voice ATIS feature to display weather information but if he opts not to use the voice ATIS feature it shouldn't change anything.

Justin