VATSIM VA Partner Audit Manager Position Opening

Callum McLoughlin

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Dear all

(I thought it best to post this here as well just to make sure everybody interested sees this - I saw a comment in another thread on here regarding volunteers appearing from nowhere, and no job notices being posted.   )

One of the main goals of VATSIM is to create an environment which is fun and, at the same time, an educational and realistic simulation of procedures followed by pilots and air traffic controllers everyday around the world. We recognize the contributions of virtual airlines as significant and integral parts of the flight simulation community which allows many online pilots to experience the unique characteristics of the airline industry combined with authentic live air traffic control.

We are in partnership with over 350 virtual airlines which can be found on our linksmanager website, the partnerships firstly promote VATSIM through encouraging VA pilots to choose to fly on our network, and secondly, allows VATSIM members to find a list of virtual airlines which are of a high standard.

VATSIM has a number of requirements which virtual airlines must meet, and continue to meet to continue as a partner. Every three months we audit virtual airlines to ensure these minimum requirements continue to be met. (The requirements can be found here: http://linksmanager.com/vatsimvas/add_link.html)

The VA/SOA Department is seeking two Audit Managers who will report to the Director of VA Relations to carry out the audits of our virtual airline partners. The role requires a minimum of two hours of volunteering per week and you will be given training on how to use the administration console.

The successful applicants will have the following qualities:

• A member in good standing of VATSIM for at least one year with no serious infractions in CERT, i.e. DCRM actions resulting in an upheld or extended suspension for CoC or CoR infractions (does not include 24/48 hour SUP suspensions unless a pattern of multiple infractions exists). No duplicate CIDs to contravene a suspension.
  • Read, write and speak in English (but there is no requirement that English is your first language). Other languages are huge plus.
  • Able to work with people from across the world.
  • Can use online language translators to audit foreign language websites, and emails.
  • Diplomatic nature, and patient.
  • Able to keep privileged information confidential at all times.
  • Able to learn how to use our administration console
  • An ambassador of VATSIM, at no times will bring discredit to VATSIM, the VATSIM leadership, or its members, and at all times is able to be a role model citizen for VATSIM.
  • Currently active as a controller or pilot on VATSIM with recent verifiable hours on the network

All applications will be carefully considered.

If you wish to apply, please send an email to vapartners[-at-]vatsim.net - please include your CERT ID, previous experience, current or past held jobs on VATSIM, and your motivations for applying. You may be asked to attend an interview either using Team Speak or Skype.

The closing date is 28th March at 2359.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Callum McLoughlin
VATSIM Director of VA Relations

Bo Ryan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
Quote from: Callum McLoughlin

Good grief, Charlie Brown. ANOTHER bureaucratic position created for the network to gag on. Well done folks. Looking at that list of "requirements" you're almost groveling for some butt-kissing 40 year old who lives in his mom's basement to step in and fill the role to acquire some make believe, feel-good, self-important title. Just start begging already. Chances are, anybody who has been around the network any amount of time won't touch this, or any other position with a 100 yard pole.

The highlight of this "job requirement"?
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]An ambassador of VATSIM, at no times will bring discredit to VATSIM, the VATSIM leadership, or its members, and at all times is able to be a role model citizen for VATSIM.[/quote]

READ: We want a certifiably qualified butt kisser to take this position. For your trouble, we will ride you like Sea Biscuit, give you a superficial meaningless title, maybe a Supervisor rating (which is worthless in and of itself) and monitor, censor, and then undermine everything that you attempt to accomplish. And then we want you to keep quiet when we do it. You have fun with that, y'all.

Something to think about: There is a reason that there has yet to be a Division Director within VATUSA that has lasted more than 6 months in 2 years. This trend started at the ARTCC level, and found its way into the Division Staff level.  Now, I know that this isn't a Division level position, but its something to think about and consider. Just sayin'.

But it sure will be interesting to see what 18 year old kid / 40 year old man living with mom gets picked to "represent" VATSIM in front of "350"  virtual airlines.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:17:05 PM by Bo Gercke »

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:41 PM »
Quote from: Bo Gercke
Good grief, Charlie Brown. ANOTHER bureaucratic position created for the network to gag on. Well done folks. Looking at that list of "requirements" you're almost groveling for some butt-kissing 40 year old who lives in his mom's basement to step in and fill the role to acquire some make believe, feel-good, self-important title. Just start begging already. Chances are, anybody who has been around the network any amount of time won't touch this, or any other position with a 100 yard pole.

The highlight of this "job requirement"?

READ: We want a certifiably qualified butt kisser to take this position. For your trouble, we will ride you like Sea Biscuit, give you a superficial meaningless title, maybe a Supervisor rating (which is worthless in and of itself) and monitor, censor, and then undermine everything that you attempt to accomplish. And then we want you to keep quiet when we do it. You have fun with that, y'all.

Something to think about: There is a reason that there has yet to be a Division Director within VATUSA that has lasted more than 6 months in 2 years. This trend started at the ARTCC level, and found its way into the Division Staff level.  Now, I know that this isn't a Division level position, but its something to think about and consider. Just sayin'.

But it sure will be interesting to see what 18 year old kid / 40 year old man living with mom gets picked to "represent" VATSIM in front of "350"  virtual airlines.

Damn, you must have already applied. I guess I shouldn't.
Ryan Geckler - GK
VATUSA9 | Traffic Management Unit Director
Former VATUSA3 | Division Training Director
Minneapolis ARTCC | RW Miami ARTCC

Bo Ryan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »
Quote from: Ryan Geckler
Damn, you must have already applied. I guess I shouldn't.

Nope, it's all yours, Ryan. I'm over 18, and regrettably must inform you that I no longer live in my mother's basement, and have never had a bathrobe.

But seriously.... Ryan, I Facebook stalked you and I see that you are the 18 year old kid that I speak of. Please don't get all up in arms about my post. I've been around this network for a LONG time and watched it change from a place where I got my ATC start and had incredible people help me get to where I did to a network full of self-seeking, narcissistic, self-promoting underachievers looking for a way to Lord over others, impose authority and control over a group of like minded hobbyists looking for a great time with authentic camaraderie. The network leadership went from a group of individuals committed to helping others, to a group of self-indulgent selfish self-centered good old boys trying to make a name for themselves in a virtual, computer based environment.

I've not only spent a lot of time in leadership positions on the network, but also had the opportunity to turn my hobby into my career. It happened because of this network and those willing to help me along the way. Honestly, I have no interest in working with the group of people who hold leadership positions in VATSIM for the reasons that I have stated. They are not representative of those I met when I came here in 2003 (I think?) when I joined the network. They also represent everything that is wrong with the "American way of life". I've also seen enough and heard enough from those who have worked with this group of people to know that it wouldn't be a good fit for me to work with them.  You don't need to drop a brick on your foot to know that it'll hurt once you do. Right?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:27:34 AM by Bo Gercke »

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
Jeeeze Bo, why don't you tell us how you really feel.    lol  

But I bet it felt good getting that off your chest.  Any other warnings about how VATSIM "represents everything that is wrong with the Amercian way of life" that you think a newbie like me should know??  I mean since you're on roll.......

Ira
Ira Robinson

Callum McLoughlin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Quote from: Bo Gercke
Good grief, Charlie Brown. ANOTHER bureaucratic position created for the network to gag on. Well done folks. Looking at that list of "requirements" you're almost groveling for some butt-kissing 40 year old who lives in his mom's basement to step in and fill the role to acquire some make believe, feel-good, self-important title.

Hello Bo

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I have been reviewing new VA Partership requests and attempting to audit VAs on the side for roughly six months but don't have enough time in my week to do everything that's needed. I was approached by my "boss", VATGOV9, and asked if I thought it would be a good idea to get some extra help.

As representatives of VATSIM, do you not feel it is important that we conduct ourselves in a responsible and mature way? This is why there is a requirement for people to do so.

Those who wish to donate their time to VATSIM should be applauded for their committment to their hobby - we are not looking for people who simply wish to grow their ego.

I hope this clears up some of your concerns.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:17:20 PM by Callum McLoughlin »

Scott DeWoody

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »
Quote from: Ira Robinson
Jeeeze Bo, why don't you tell us how you really feel.    lol  

But I bet it felt good getting that off your chest.  Any other warnings about how VATSIM "represents everything that is wrong with the Amercian way of life" that you think a newbie like me should know??  I mean since you're on roll.......

Ira

Ira, keep your panties on, he didn't say that VATSIM itself represents everything that is wrong with the American way of life, he was referring to the egotistical, title grabbing, back stabbing, lying people that he has encountered along the way.... I'm thinking anyway, correct me if I'm wrong Bo.

Also, keep in mind, that it is his opinion, which we are all entitled to.
Scott DeWoody

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »
I think Bo's concern rests with the fact that the administrative facets of this organization are growing exponentially. Now we have assistant events coordinators, assistant TA's, and numerous assistants to BoG members. The problem is that the BoG members continually hire help to the point that they end up doing nothing except acting as the figure head. If they don't have the time or desire to complete their duties, then please resign and spare us all the heartache of having BoG members who don't do anything and can't seem to respond to emails.

VATSIM is quickly becoming a mess of bureaucracy, which Bo has been pointing out for many months if not years. Bo and I even exchanged shots at each other when I was USA1 over these very issues, funny thing is I discounted him as some typical idiot who is out there to stroke his own ego. After speaking with Bo, I was wrong. Very wrong.

Zazula has tons of "assistants" under him called "Senior Supervisors" and a VP SUPs "Secretary". Kyle is now following in Zazula's footsteps and hiring a bunch of people to do his work. In a company where a manager can afford to hire out his work, there would be nothing wrong with this. But in VATSIM, too many people with titles are getting in the way of true progress and meeting the desires of the Founders, how ever many we have left...

Callum, none of this is a dig at you at all. I know you are doing a fantastic job in Kyle's department which is clearly a great example of teamwork and dedication to this hobby. However, the amount of people with titles around here is excessive and is quickly becoming a joke, or circus, if you will.

Richard Jenkins

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://vatsim.net
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 06:55:57 PM »
Quote from: Scott DeWoody
...he was referring to the egotistical, title grabbing, back stabbing, lying people that he has encountered along the way....

Hey, I worked hard for that reputation. There is a real art  to being an egotistical,  title grabbing, back stabbing, liar.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:56:32 PM by Richard Jenkins »

Bo Ryan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Quote from: Callum McLoughlin
Hello Bo

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I have been reviewing new VA Partership requests and attempting to audit VAs on the side for roughly six months but don't have enough time in my week to do everything that's needed. I was approached by my "boss", VATGOV9, and asked if I thought it would be a good idea to get some extra help.

As representatives of VATSIM, do you not feel it is important that we conduct ourselves in a responsible and mature way? This is why there is a requirement for people to do so.

Those who wish to donate their time to VATSIM should be applauded for their committment to their hobby - we are not looking for people who simply wish to grow their ego.

I hope this clears up some of your concerns.

Callum,

You're going to fit right in.... Let me translate what you wrote just to make sure that I am understanding this correctly:

Hello Bo,

I really don't give a rip about your concerns, but need to preface with some PC soundbite so as to sound "professional". I am too "busy" with affecting massive change here at VATSIM HQ to perform my job how the BoG, Brian Wollenberg, and "others" (read: no accountability  ) expect me to, but can't do themselves. I was being ridden like Sea Biscuit by "others" because they won't do what they need to do, but instead are doing what I volunteered to do, and told to me find someone else who can come in and do my job, because I'm too busy doing theirs. (or maybe nobody is doing it at all?)

As a representative of VATSIM it is important that I put a superficially professional butt-kissing appearance on at all times as to not upset "others" and make it appear as though I am actually doing something that I'm not effectively doing in the first place. Though I have not completed high-school (or still live in my mom's house in her basement, you pick), and have zero real aeronautical, or ATC experience, I like to pretend that I am some self-important buttoned-up "professional" and all grown up guy. Seeing as though we are pandering to the aforementioned demographic, it is imperative that this be included in our job posting.

My time here at VATSIM will be as memorable as a fart in the wind when I leave this position (understand; it's through no fault of your own), so I need to accept all of the accolades possible to allow myself to feel as though I "accomplished something" while doing nothing.    

Did I get that right?

Oh, and one more thing:  When you get serious about finding qualified people to help make this organization not only better, but what it once was, go find 50 C3's who have left this organization in the past 2 years and get back to me. Otherwise,  quit giving me a line of shallow PC BS to try to make me buy a bag of hot air that you're selling because I ain't buying it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:40:57 PM by Bo Gercke »

Luke Kolin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »
[img]http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/lg-go-away-tshirt.jpg\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

I must admit, this is a job that falls into that category.

Cheers!

Luke

Brian Pryor

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »
Perhaps the line, don't feed the trolls applies here, what turned into a position posting has turned into a flame fest.

Might I suggest a mod strip the commentary to a seperate thread and leave the posting as the only item?
Brian Pryor

Bryan Wollenberg

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
Bo,

I think your main problem is that you expect every person in a staff position to have real world experience, either as an ATC or pilot.  The network is not meant to churn out real world pilots, nor is it meant to be a training ground for real world ATC.  Is that sometimes a byproduct of what goes on here?  Of course, but that isn't the network's purpose.  

In your leave of absence, I think you must have missed where we are going to try moving our posts to courteous, professional, and constructive.  

The job has been announced; we're done here.  Thanks for playing.
Bryan Wollenberg
Retired North America Regional Director