Vis Ranges and VRC

Matt Fuoco

• Members
    • View Profile
Vis Ranges and VRC
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »
So I have this problem where in times of high traffic load I get kicked from the server.  It has been suggested that I "tweak" my vis range to cut down on the traffic my session "sees" that is not in my airspace.

I have also been looking at small but multiple vis centers.  Has anyone done that?  I read a post that adding vis centers (more than 1) doubles your bandwidth with each one.

I set up 4 vis centers the overlap but the range is much smaller as to only  overlap the airspace around Memphis just a little.  I am wondering if I just mad matters worse from a bandwidth perspective.

Thoughts.....

Matt

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Vis Ranges and VRC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:04:47 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the bandwidth issue. From what I understand the four small vis centers vs. one large vis center use the same amount of bandwidth. In ZDV I use four, each of 235 miles, and it works quite well. You can focus in on more of the areas you want, and all of the areas you need, whereas with one giant circle of visibility you often get more ARTCC/TRACON border coverage that either extends way too far from the border or way too close to the border.

Alex Ramos

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Vis Ranges and VRC
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
I wouldn't worry too much about the bandwidth issue. From what I understand the four small vis centers vs. one large vis center use the same amount of bandwidth. In ZDV I use four, each of 235 miles, and it works quite well. You can focus in on more of the areas you want, and all of the areas you need, whereas with one giant circle of visibility you often get more ARTCC/TRACON border coverage that either extends way too far from the border or way too close to the border.

I also use 4 vis points at 215nm. it allows to cover the entire airspace, but keeps the focus on where i need it, so im not seeing EMER's in DFW or Denver

Ramos

Arthur Heiser

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://zabartcc.org/index.php/backend/profile/1052801
Vis Ranges and VRC
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »
I also use four. I went as far as finding some of the real ARSR locations for vis points, but that's just me.

-TX

Kyle Gallagher

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Vis Ranges and VRC
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
I do that for all my positions. Vis points are r/w ARSRs or ASRs.

Andrew Murfin

• Members
    • View Profile
Vis Ranges and VRC
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
Matt

I had the EXACT same problem.  I would only get kicked when I was working CTR during big events, like FNO's or Cross the Pond (The worse times to get kicked trust me).  My problem was I thought it would be a good idea to use servers like Europe, Uk, and Oceanic, because hey, when we Americans are online the American servers must be worse to use because of all the people right?  Wrong.  A pretty stupid mistake for somebody who's been controlling this long lol.  To find the best server for you go on VATSPY (ServInfo does this also but I don't know how), go to "Network Servers" and click their link to show the ones with the fastest speeds.  I don't know much about exactly what it is, but usually it's the one closest to where you live (I live in FL, USA-E works best for me).  I hope this helps.

Andrew Murfin

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Vis Ranges and VRC
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Murfin
I don't know much about exactly what it is, but usually it's the one closest to where you live (I live in FL, USA-E works best for me).  I hope this helps.
It's basically the distance your computer has to send and receive a signal to the server. If the server is located on another continent, for instance, we're talking a lot of infrastructure. Either via a network of cables that go underneath the ocean or via satellite, it takes a long time (in terms of the internet) to send and receive those signals.

The same goes for those internet speed test websites. I have Charter as my ISP and I live in Michigan, so if I select the Lansing server on that website, my connection goes to Chicago (where Charter's servers are located) then NE to Lansing, back to Chicago, and then to my computer (this is, again, simplified). If I select Seattle, my connection is routed via Chicago then however much infrastructure it takes to get to Seattle and back, so my internet speed will be less according to the Seattle server than it is on the Lansing server, for instance, because the distance traveled is greater to Seattle than it is to Lansing.

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
Vis Ranges and VRC
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:05:09 AM »
I too use four vis centers but I find that 150 miles is more than enough to cover what I need to see.  

Ira