ARTCC Recommendation?

Michael Dugan

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Recommendation?
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:01 AM »
I've also cross-posted this at VATSIM, but I'm also posting here to reach, more specifically, the US division since that's where I live.

So I've got S1, and I'm finding that I don't particularly care for the training pedagogy at my current region. I'm going to provide a bit of information what I'm looking for in a center, and hopefully those more experienced than I can provide some direction

Realism/Adherence to FAA: I prefer a center that embraces .65 and tries to emulate, but allows for some variance taking into the consideration that this is a recreational hobby in the end.

Traffic: A desirable center will have a major airport (obviously) with a reliable number of arrivals/departures. This doesn't necessarily imply it needs to be an extremely busy airport, but reliable in what traffic it gets. It also helps it there are at least 2-3 other airports in the region that get a "staffable" level of traffic, ~10+ flights/day.

Positions: Freelancing/moonlighting is fine and dandy, but there should also be some scheduling system for controllers to indicate the position(s) and time(s) they will be staffing. This gives other controllers a formal indication, and allows for simulataneous lateral staffing from GND to CTR. Similarly, I don't want to be at a center that is overloaded with controllers for number of positions that it is practical to staff at a given time.

Schedule/Availability
:I'm on the East Coast and frequent the late nights/early mornings. Typical online times would be 7-10pm and/or 6-9am during the work week.

Training: My biggest pet peeve. Throghout my life, I have been the kind of person who learns through exposure, repetition, and teachable moments. I don't think a student controller should be forced to staff minor facilities where the traffic is minimal and be expected to have a solid understanding of the content they will be tested on. My ideal approach would be off-peak training at a major facility, or supervised/assigned training during higher volume times. (Think of medical interns...they work at high volume times, but handle a smaller patient load than regular physicians).

That said, I'm pretty open to suggestions, so let 'em fly
Mike Dugan
Webmaster/Mentor
Boston ARTCC

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
ARTCC Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:40:59 AM »
Hi Michael,

First of all, let me applaud the approach you are taking - putting out there what works best for you and seeing who thinks they have a compatible/aligned situation.  Smart move!

There are probably a few ARTCCs that would be a good fit for you -- 2-3 perhaps -- and my guess is that that they are currently all very similar in their ability to offer you what works best for you.

That said, I'm of course just a bit biased  and so I offer Boston for your consideration (though if you ask me my opinion of any others I'll be happy to give you a fair and impartial opinion).

Realism:  We hit the nail on the head, I believe, aligning to your Realism desires.  

Traffic:  Boston is certainly a major airport that draws a fair amount of traffic, yet a couple of our Class C airports draw their fair share, at times, also (BDL, PVD, PWM, BGR to name the busier class Cs).   As an example, I was controlling all of Boston Center about 5 hours ago and had more traffic into and out of BDL than BOS....)

Positions: We don't have enough controllers to warrant a scheduling system of our own, though we don't discourage you posting your desired times anyplace, e.g., vRoute.  Should we get to that point, however, I'm happy to institute a scheduling system.  We just haven't ever had that need in the 5 years I've been here.  I welcome that problem, however!

Schedule: We're on the East Coast too!  The evening hours you mention are our busiest times, with the later night (10pm-1am) coming next.  6-9am is pretty dead, as a rule, unless the position is staffed.....  When we're on, we attract folks, but mainly Europeans, etc. that are looking to get some US exposure.

Training: Though we are bound to follow GRP which mandates initial training just to meet the basic requirements, we do liberally use off-peak authorizations at our major airport, Boston.  And you get there quite quickly once you've demonstrated basic competence at one of the minor fields.  We also liberally employ training in the Sweatbox simulator, which allows you and the instructor/mentor the ability to select the traffic load that is right for you.  You can intern during off peak on your own to build your confidence while getting targeted training in the ER, with the instructor ensuring you get the right exposure to the right training scenarios and right pace to push your envelope...  and lead to certification the fastest.

Have a look at our website www.bostonartcc.net and feel free to ask around, shoot us questions, etc.  If there is anything specific I can answer for you, feel free to shoot me a note at atm -at- bostonartcc.net.

Kind regards,

Don
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:45:34 AM by Don Desfosse »
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Michael Dugan

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Recommendation?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:57:14 AM »
Don,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't read through individual SOPs and training methodologies yet, but the following are my preferences thus far:

1. Jax (I have a specific interest in MCO, love the airport)
2. Chicago (Weather extremes + potential traffic)
3. Washington (My "home" region)

I exclude Boston only out of lack of familiarity, my choices are biased as an FSX pilot by where I've previously flown and enjoy flying to

Scheduling isn't an issue when there aren't enough controllers. This is an issue extrinsic of the ARTCC and not something that can be controlled. More specifically,  I was referring to the centers with sufficient staffing but a lack of coordination that either leads to here-and-there staffing or 10 controllers attempting to staff the same facility.

Just out of curiosity, is 33R actually in use? I can't think of many uses for a 2600' runway lol
Mike Dugan
Webmaster/Mentor
Boston ARTCC

William Lewis

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Recommendation?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »
Other than events, I am not aware of any VATUSA facility that has in place a day to day controller scheduling system.

As a facility manager I too am bias.  As I am limited on time this morning and will defer a point to point response. In short, I would describe Atlanta Center (vZTL) as one of the most innovative. From our software to our procedures to our training methods, we like to think out of the box and concentrate on all details to continuously seek improvement and unique operations while remaining within the confines provided by the COC, COR, GRP, and 7110.65 and in the spirit of real world aviation. Examples of this may be our pre-setup controlling software (VRC with all settings, Profiles, ATIS format, Frequencies, etc. set for all ATCTs), or our development of Pre Departure Clearances (PDCs- www.PDC.vZTLartcc.net) which are currently used and very successful. There are many times where the level of support places a hindrance on the the development of these ideas, but you will find this at nearly any facility especially in the areas of training. However, we hold many other innovative ideas regarding operations and processed which development time will simply depend on the man power of those interested in participating in that development.

Although we accept all types of personality, We seek individuals who hold a passion for learning and educating each other on aviation and when it comes to ATC we do not only study the phraseology and procedures but also "WHY" these procedures and phraseology is in place.

As a social manager who likes to frequently interact with many of my neighboring facilities, I can say I would have no complaints with vZMP, vZBW, and vZDC.

If you have further questions or wish me to describe items in further detail whether it be about vZTL or may experiences at other facilities, I am also happy to discuss this with anyone.
Former ZTL Air Traffic Manager
Former ZID Training Admin

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
ARTCC Recommendation?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »
So come fly to and from Boston, when I or my team are controlling, and increase your familiarity

Weather, enjoy our Nor'easter right now..... Wind 030 at 18, gusts 38, visibility 1/2, moderate snow and ice pellets.  Tomorrow, VFR with light winds out of the Northwest.  Get bored with Boston weather?  Just stick around 6 hours or less; it will be different

If you ever listen to my ATIS, or the real world ATIS, you'll hear, "Runway 15L/33R closed except for taxi."  A lot of us pine for the day when 15L/33R officially becomes a taxiway for real.  But show up for pattern work in a Skyhawk at 1am?  Chances are, that's your runway  ....

I can't say anything bad about those ARTCCs; each are great in their own respect.  I just think you'd do better (for traffic manly) at ZBW or ZTL.  But do your resesarch -- I applaud your efforts thus far -- keep asking good questions and poking in the right places.

All the best,

Don
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:16:18 PM by Don Desfosse »
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Alistair McCartney

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Recommendation?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »
You're more than welcome to join us at ZDC Michael! The Potomac can be great fun to work a busy approach sector taking people to the River Visual at DCA and we've got 3 GRP "Major" airports within 40 miles of each other.!

As Don said, its a personal choice so do your research, ask questions, have a look at ARTCC documents, but having visited ZBW before, I can tell you its a great bunch there and you'll get one of the most realistic experiences you could want should you really want large traffic levels.

But yeah, come join us!  

Alistair McCartney
www.vzdc.org