No VOX as observer

Ed Akridge

• Members
    • View Profile
No VOX as observer
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »
Pardon me if this is something i overlooked in the training. But when I log into VRC as an Observer, How can I listen to Comms? I logged in last night, just like the lesson showed, but I had no sound.

Michael Mund-Hoym

• Members
    • View Profile
No VOX as observer
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 05:10:39 AM »
Hello Ed,

its actually fairly easy. I use the Comms Panel in VRC to monitor. (you can open it by clicking on the box with the Zulu time in the top left corner)

You can find well detailed information on how to setup the Comms Panel here.

To determine a controllers voice server and channel, open a text message with that controller by double clicking on the callsign of the controller in the controllers and chat window (open by clicking on "Tools"->"Controller List" in the VRC menu bar) and then double clicking on the empty space where sent and received text messages appear.

Please note to not "prime" or transmit on an active frequency as observer.

Hope this helps.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
No VOX as observer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
Michael is correct.  The alternative way without having to configure the comms panel (though you'll have to if you enroll in ATC training anyway) is to right click on the controller position in the Controller and Chat window and select Monitor.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Colin Schoen

• Members
    • View Profile
No VOX as observer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »
Note that the monitor function is peer to peer and may or may not work depending on your and the controller's network configuration.
Colin Schoen
VATSIM Membership Manager
VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
No VOX as observer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »
Quote from: Colin Schoen
Note that the monitor function is peer to peer and may or may not work depending on your and the controller's network configuration.
... and if that doesn't convince you right away to not use it, also note that you won't receive any of the text communications either.