April Fools! GRP Updates Released

Mike Story

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 10:27:50 AM »
Don,

ZNY is still waiting on the real world controllers we were supposed to get last year from the FAA.  

Mike Story

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
Quote from: Mike Story
Don,

ZNY is still waiting on the real world controllers we were supposed to get last year from the FAA.  

My training staff is all trash here anyway. Glad to have to help.. Finally!!!!!

Mathew Magera

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
Well, I think this is a good idea. If this is truly a plan to take away major/minor certifications, this will be a much better way to advance controllers quickly in a more inviting environment. The fact that a controller has to learn a set of procedures for one location that may not receive much traffic and then learn more procedures for the main airport can be tough on a controller's excitement on the network. We have this at Chicago and if we can just do away with ORD being a major facility and allow all students to control there it will be great to see. Rather than check out our visiting controller on a minor facility first, they would already have the training necessary to move right into our major airport allowing for more ATC coverage. It will be good to have a standardized training system so that controllers will be able to learn what they need to know and implement this knowledge everywhere rather than having facilities that train students less efficiently suffer when well learned controllers from other areas are visiting there. It works the other way around too. Having a poorly trained controller trained as a visitor at a facility that practices very realistic operations will hardly allow for that controller to be granted permission to visit. If we have that standardized system as mentioned here, controllers can be trained with the same material, be trained for realistic situations and thus be able to better get into any online position and be able to use those realistic skills anywhere. I'm glad to see the network moving in this direction.

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »
Dhruv,

No BioQ, just a hundred question test on how good looking you are. The computer does not lie!

Kenneth Bambach

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
Mike, be glad those FAA guys didn't show up. We wound up with a few of them here, but they couldn't cut it. They had problems with top down service, texters, and letting VFR aircraft depart in half mile vis with 007 OVC.

All of them bailed out of here after only two weeks.....

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
Quote from: Rick Rump
Dhruv,

No BioQ, just a hundred question test on how good looking you are. The computer does not lie!
Now where did I put that webcam...

Mike Story

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »
Quote from: Ken Bambach
Mike, be glad those FAA guys didn't show up. We wound up with a few of them here, but they couldn't cut it. They had problems with top down service, texters, and letting VFR aircraft depart in half mile vis with 007 OVC.

All of them bailed out of here after only two weeks.....
Some people just don't have the stomach for VATSIM.

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
Quote from: Mike Story
Some people just don't have the stomach for VATSIM.
Pretty sure they all got confused when 3 Air Force Ones (AF1, A1, and AIRFORCEONE) showed up on the scope at the same time anyway.

Kyle Sanders

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 10:41:29 AM »
Haha! Had me for about two hours.... And then my ATM hit me with "Guam?!?!..."

Happy April!

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »
As befits this wonderful news, I am hereby sending notice to VATUSA that this will be the last time I use this signiture in any official capacity. I can't think of a more appropriate topic to walk away from than the announcement of a new GRP.  

You'all have a good time with this.  

Mike Story

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »
Quote from: Dhruv Kalra
Pretty sure they all got confused when 3 Air Force Ones (AF1, A1, and AIRFORCEONE) showed up on the scope at the same time anyway.
Actually, ZNY had one guy who we did proudly train into the FAA. Unfortunately, he was quickly fired after repeatedly attempting the .wallop with an unruly aircraft. Pity.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44:32 AM »
So, I'm confused, are new controllers trained by Academy Instructors with Academy material using LAX and JFK, or are we basically just shipping newbies to Guam but sending them through the LAX and JFK training programs?

EDIT: wait, Happy April Fools? Riight? Right?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:50:56 AM by Ryan Parry »

Kenneth Bambach

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »
Quote from: Dhruv Kalra

On two of those, the FAA guy working them thought they were females. Had to explain to him that it was actually a 13 yr old kid. If memory serves me correctly, that's when he bolted out the door.

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Quote from: Ryan Parry
So, I'm confused, are new controllers trained by Academy Instructors with Academy material using LAX and JFK, or are we basically just shipping newbies to Guam but sending them through the LAX and JFK training programs?

EDIT: wait, Happy April Fools? Riight?

I'm telling you right now that knowing the ZNY Training Staff as I do, they will turn out nothing but robots preprogrammed so that it won't matter which ARTCC you assign them to.  In 90 days they will make application to transfer home again  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:51:46 AM by Ira Robinson »

Mathew Magera

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
Quote from: Ken Bambach
On two of those, the FAA guy working them thought they were females. Had to explain to him that it was actually a 13 yr old kid. If memory serves me correctly, that's when he bolted out the door.

I thought it was when one of them wanted to fly GPS direct because the pilot could not accept vectors to a VOR because they did not know how it worked.