Pre Departure Clearances

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
Pre Departure Clearances
« on: January 14, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »
Great discussion tonight in the VATUSA "Town Hall" meeting relative to Pre Departure Clearances, enough that it was worth bringing it up here for further input and suggestions.

PDCs have been around for several years to the point where you can listen to a Clearance freq on liveatc and hardly hear anything. Here in VATSIM-Land, we're slowly adopting the use of PDC's, but we don't have the technology to do it the way it should be done, so the best option we have at the moment is the text alias.

ZNY worked very hard to design and implement an automated system where the departure was presented on the ZNY website and the controller could open the PDC and manipulate it as needed, then the pilot received a link to the completed PDC. That system went by the wayside due to server problems, if I recall.

At any rate, issuing a PDC via text is exceedingly simple. It isn't used for general aviation, but for airlines and corporate jets as a rule. The system that I use, along with the aliases provided to me by Michael Mund-Hoym and modified slightly, goes like this:
Pilot calls for clearance
Controller responds to pilot (voice or text) to expect PDC via PM
Controller checks clearance, route etc. just as is always done, assigns squawk
Controller opens chatbox with pilot, uses first alias, enters four items only: TYPE A/C, RWY, FRQ, DEP SID
Controller follows up with second alias, which tells pilot no need to respond unless he has a question, and to call ready to taxi with ATIS and SQUAWK only.

Even pilots who have not previously seen the process, especially European folks don't have any problems if they actually read the text.

Many ARTCCs apparently use PDCs. Some don't. Others allow it on an individual basis.

The Aliases that I use:

.PSB STAND BY FOR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE VIA PM. IF UNABLE PM ADVISE.

.PDC1 PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START | CALL SIGN: $aircraft | TYPE: ($1) | DEP: $dep | ARR: $arr | TRANSPONDER: $squawk | ALTITUDE: $cruise | APPROVED ROUTE: $route | *CLIMB VIA SID* | EXPECT RWY $2 | DEP FREQ ($3) | RMKS: $uc($4) DEPARTURE

.PDC2 ADDITIONAL INFO: >>CONTACT APPROPRIATE CONTROLLER WITH ASSIGNED TRANSPONDER CODE AND CURRENT ATIS FOR TAXI.<< THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS YOUR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE. NO NEED TO REPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE QUESTIONS -END-

I think ZLA uses these, or something quite similar.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:10:53 AM by Tom Seeley »

Johnathan Ellis

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Pre Departure Clearances
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
ZTL uses the following for PDC's...we have different "commands" for departure complex etc.

.pdc .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START- CALL SIGN: $aircraft BEACON: $squawk - FLIGHT LEVEL: $cruise DEPT: $dep ARR: $arr EQUIPMENT: $type($aircraft) APPROVED ROUTE: $route DEP FREQ INFO: $freq($1) - ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS: AS PUBLISHED ON THE SID - SID INFORMATION: RNAV DEPARTURES ARE RUNWAY DEPENDENT. RNAV SID CONFIRM FIRST RNAV FIX WITH TOWER PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

.pdcd .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START- CALL SIGN: $aircraft BEACON: $squawk - FLIGHT LEVEL: $cruise DEPT: $dep ARR: $arr EQUIPMENT: $type($aircraft) APPROVED ROUTE: $route DEP FREQ INFO: OFFLINE - ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS: AS PUBLISHED ON THE SID - SID INFORMATION: RNAV DEPARTURES ARE RUNWAY DEPENDENT. RNAV SID CONFIRM FIRST RNAV FIX WITH TOWER PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

.pdcm .msg $aircraft - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: GROUND WILL ASSIGN RUNWAY WITH TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. CONTACT GROUND CONTROL ON 125.00 FOR TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS YOUR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. CONTACT CLEARANCE DELIVERY ONLY IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR CLEARANCE.  -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE END-

.pdcn .msg $aircraft - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: GROUND WILL ASSIGN RUNWAY WITH TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. CONTACT APPROPRIATE GROUND CONTROL AS PUBLISHED AT THE NORTH SIDE OF THE TERMINAL RAMP. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS YOUR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. CONTACT CLEARANCE DELIVERY ONLY IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR CLEARANCE.  -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE END-

.pdcs .msg $aircraft - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: GROUND WILL ASSIGN RUNWAY WITH TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. CONTACT APPROPRIATE GROUND CONTROL AS PUBLISHED AT THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE TERMINAL RAMP. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS YOUR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. CONTACT CLEARANCE DELIVERY ONLY IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR CLEARANCE.  -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE END-

.pdcc .msg $aircraft - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: GROUND WILL ASSIGN RUNWAY WITH TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. CONTACT APPROPRIATE GROUND CONTROL AS PUBLISHED.THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS YOUR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. CONTACT CLEARANCE DELIVERY ONLY IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR CLEARANCE.  -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE END-

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »
I use the following for ZMP/ZAU, based on r/w PDC messages:

.pdcaf .msg $aircraft **** PREDEPARTURE CLEARANCE **** | FLTS MORE THAN 2 HRS PAST SKED DEP TIME MUST VERIFY PDC IS STILL VALID WITH ATC. | $aircraft DEPARTING $dep TRANSPONDER $squawk SKED DEP TIME $ftime(30) EQUIP $type($aircraft) FILED FLT LEVEL $cruise | ROUTING -CLEARED AS FILED- $dep $route $arr

.pdcrv .msg $aircraft **** PREDEPARTURE CLEARANCE **** | FLTS MORE THAN 2 HRS PAST SKED DEP TIME MUST VERIFY PDC IS STILL VALID WITH ATC. | $aircraft DEPARTING $dep TRANSPONDER $squawk SKED DEP TIME $ftime(30) EQUIP $type($aircraft) FILED FLT LEVEL $cruise | -ATC CLEARANCE- ***CHANGED*** $uc($1 $2) THEN AS FILED

.pdcfrc .msg $aircraft **** PREDEPARTURE CLEARANCE **** | FLTS MORE THAN 2 HRS PAST SKED DEP TIME MUST VERIFY PDC IS STILL VALID WITH ATC. | $aircraft DEPARTING $dep TRANSPONDER $squawk SKED DEP TIME $ftime(30) EQUIP $type($aircraft) FILED FLT LEVEL $cruise | -ATC CLEARANCE- ***CHANGED*** $dep $route $arr

.pdc2 .msg $aircraft MAINTAIN $1 | GND CTL FREQ $freq($4)/DPTR CTL FREQ $freq($3) | PLAN RWY $uc($2) ATC MAY CHANGE ANY TIME. **** PREDEPARTURE CLEARANCE END ****

.pdc2v .msg $aircraft CLIMB VIA SID | GND CTL FREQ $freq($3)/DPTR CTL FREQ $freq($2) | PLAN RWY $uc($1) ATC MAY CHANGE ANY TIME. **** PREDEPARTURE CLEARANCE END ****

.pdc2vx .msg $aircraft CLIMB VIA SID TOP ALTITUDE $1 | GND CTL FREQ $freq($4)/DPTR CTL FREQ $freq($3) | PLAN RWY $uc($2) ATC MAY CHANGE ANY TIME. **** PREDEPARTURE CLEARANCE END ****

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »
ZDC uses the same as ZMP/ZAU. Personally I (usually, though laziness also plays into this) only use PDCs when my workload necessitates it, the pilot requests or for text only pilots. We do not require PDC usage outside of heavy events (Assuming the controller actually uses them.........) however.

We train our S1s on how to use PDCs, we do not teach those students training for their S1 as we want them to learn how to give a verbal clearance and to get use to working with traffic.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
This is what we use at ZOA. The main difference being that we've simplified it so that everything needed is contained in a single message. I do like how ZMP/ZAU implemented something for a changed route. Currently if we change the route we have to send no PDC available and do the clearance over voice.

.pdc .msg $aircraft PRE DEPARTURE CLEARANCE FOR $aircraft FROM: $dep TO $arr | A/C Type: $type($aircraft) | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | XPNDR: $squawk | ALT: $cruise | RTE: $route | RMK: CLIMB VIA SID EXCEPT MAINTAIN 5000 | DEP RWY $1 | DEP FREQ $2 | YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE | CONTACT APPROPRIATE GND CNTRL WITH CURRENT ATIS FOR TAXI INSTRUCTIONS

.pdc2 .msg $aircraft PRE DEPARTURE CLEARANCE FOR $aircraft FROM: $dep TO $arr | A/C Type: $type($aircraft) | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | XPNDR: $squawk | ALT: $cruise | RTE: $route | RMK: CLIMB VIA SID | DEP RWY $1 | DEP FREQ $2 | YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE | CONTACT APPROPRIATE GND CNTRL WITH CURRENT ATIS FOR TAXI INSTRUCTIONS

.pdc3 .msg $aircraft PRE DEPARTURE CLEARANCE FOR $aircraft FROM: $dep TO $arr | A/C Type: $type($aircraft) | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | XPNDR: $squawk | ALT: $cruise | RTE: $route | RMK: MAINTAIN $1 | DEP RWY $2 | $3 | YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE | CONTACT APPROPRIATE GND CNTRL WITH CURRENT ATIS FOR TAXI INSTRUCTIONS

.nopdc .msg $aircraft PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE UNAVAILABLE. CONTACT ME FOR CLEARANCE.

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »
That's interesting. I've handled route changes by sending the revised or preferred route to the pilot, asking if he can accept, making the change and letting the PDC alias just pick up the revised route. I have the impression (not proven) that the use of alias PDCs saves time and frequency usage, and allows me to multi-task more effectively.

Good point about having S1s become proficient at clearances before PDCs.

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:46:04 AM »
Here in ZBW, we train controllers operating at PDC airports to send the PDC immediately upon filing of the flight plan (it's still optional, so not everyone does it this way). Personally, as soon as I see someone file out of KBOS, they get the PDC. My expectation is that they call me with code, SID, etc. when they are ready to push/taxi.

We also have an SOP that requires any flight plan amendments to be done via voice. When it's busy, we allow controllers to text the revised route and voice-clear the pilot "as amended".

Aleksander Berg

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:41 PM »
Here are ZLA's lengthy selection of PDCs if anyone was interested:

When controlling I mostly uses .pdcvx (Init. Alt.) .pdc2/.pdc2u.

.pdc .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START | CALL SIGN: $aircraft | BEACON: $squawk | FLIGHT LEVEL: $cruise | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | EQUIPMENT: $type($aircraft) | APPROVED ROUTE: $route | GROUND FREQ INFO: $freq($2) | ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS: MAINTAIN $1. EXPECT FINAL CRUISE ALTITUDE 5 MINUTES AFTER DEPARTURE-

.pdcv .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START | CALL SIGN: $aircraft | BEACON: $squawk | FLIGHT LEVEL: $cruise | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | EQUIPMENT: $type($aircraft) | APPROVED ROUTE: $route | GROUND FREQ INFO: $freq($2) | ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS: CLIMB VIA SID. -

.pdcvx .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START | CALL SIGN: $aircraft | BEACON: $squawk | FLIGHT LEVEL: $cruise | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | EQUIPMENT: $type($aircraft) | APPROVED ROUTE: $route | GROUND FREQ INFO: $freq($2) | ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS: CLIMB VIA SID EXCEPT MAINTAIN $1. -

.pdc2 .msg $aircraft - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: DEPARTURE FREQUENCY $freq($1). GROUND WILL ASSIGN DEPARTURE RUNWAY WITH TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. CONTACT APPROPRIATE GROUND CONTROL WITH ASSIGNED BEACON CODE AND CURRENT ATIS FOR TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS YOUR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. CONTACT APPROPRIATE CLEARANCE DELIVERY ONLY IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR CLEARANCE. -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE END-

.pdc2u .msg $aircraft - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: DEPARTURE FREQUENCY OFFLINE. GROUND WILL ASSIGN DEPARTURE RUNWAY WITH TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. CONTACT APPROPRIATE GROUND CONTROL WITH ASSIGNED BEACON CODE AND CURRENT ATIS FOR TAXI INSTRUCTIONS. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS YOUR PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. CONTACT APPROPRIATE CLEARANCE DELIVERY ONLY IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR CLEARANCE. -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE END-

.pdcr .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START | CALLSIGN: $aircraft | BEACON: $squawk | FLIGHT LEVEL: $cruise | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | EQUIPMENT: $type($aircraft) | APPROVED ROUTE: $route | GROUND FREQ INFO: $freq($1) | ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS: CLIMB VIA SID | SID INFORMATION: RNAV DEPARTURES ARE RUNWAY DEPENDENT AND SPECIFICALLY MARKED "RNAV". RNAV SID CONFIRM FIRST RNAV FIX WITH TOWER PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

.pdcl .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE START | CALLSIGN: $aircraft | BEACON: $squawk | FLIGHT LEVEL: $cruise | DEPT: $dep | ARR: $arr | EQUIPMENT: $type($aircraft) | APPROVED ROUTE: $uc($1) $uc($2) THEN AS FILED | GROUND FREQ INFO: $freq($4) | ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS: MAINTAIN $3. EXPECT FINAL CRUISE ALTITUDE 5 MINUTES AFTER DEPARTURE-

.nopdc .msg $aircraft -PRE-DEPARTURE CLEARANCE UNAVAILABLE. CONTACT $freq($1) FOR CLEARANCE.