Unofficial Discord Server Maybe?

Asher Patterson

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Join the best
Unofficial Discord Server Maybe?
« on: July 20, 2016, 11:30:20 PM »
Discord is a free voice and chat program that allows for easy and secure voice and text communication, like TeamSpeak. You can also add people to friend's lists, communicate with them when they are out of the server, and send direct messages. There is also a nice and free mobile app for IOS and Android for you to communicate in servers and with friends.

The nature of VATUSA is that we are split up into ARTCCS, and often keep to ourselves. I think it would be cool for us to have the option of gathering in one spot, swap stories and make friends with people you would otherwise never interact with. The option of having the app also means you can coordinate with people to get online, and quickly exchange information with other ARTCCS away from your PC without having to type an email.

So I guess the question is, would you all like to see a place where we can all get together and meet our neighbors? If so, what would you like it to look like?

Since discord is free I have setup a test server. There are chat rooms, coordination rooms, a room for each ARTCC, and region rooms (Northeast, Southeast, Central, Southwest, Northwest). There are also special badges, permissions, and rooms for ARTCC staff, VATUSA Staff, SUPS, etc.

If you need some more information on discord, you can go to https://discordapp.com/    I also forgot to mention there is a browser version of the app that allows you to checkin and chat with members without opening the app on your phone or PC, and for computers that do not yet support discord.

Please let me know what you think. I personally think meeting everyone from other ARTCCs would be super cool, but I would certainly like input from you all and some of the ARTCCS.

Have a great evening!
~Asher Patteron 1355268

EDIT: I received a few messages asking for the URL to the server. https://discord.gg/dNTwsus
If you wish to test it out and are an ARTCC or VATSIM staff please message me, and I will give you the permissions to edit channels and explore permissions. Feel free to test it out.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:14:07 PM by Asher Patterson »

Nicholas Cavacini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial Discord Server Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 12:18:43 AM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
Personally I see it as just another program to install. The division already has a ts that can be used for big, inter-ARTCC/CCF events. Many use social media or other devices (like Skype) to bug their friends to get online. My personal opinion, it's just another program to try and remember to use.

Camden Bruno

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
I have to agree with Daniel. We already have TeamSpeak, that said, unless there is a major reason to switch to Discord, I don't see why we'd create a server. Notice how I bolded "switch", because I do not feel it is smart to have two separate voice/text communication programs. This would likely result in some people being on the TeamSpeak server while others are on the Discord server, which defeats the purpose of having everyone in the same place.

Also keep in mind Discord is still in development and lacks some major features compared to TeamSpeak. One of the most major that was a problem in the past when I looked into it (not sure if its changed since then) is that you could not password protect servers, meaning anyone with the link could access it.

Matt Bozwood-Davies

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I get connected automatically on start-up of my laptop and PC.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen enough activity on it, including new members to warrant the server staying alive. If more people showed interest, it could be something to look into more deeply.

Aidan Stevens

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
Interesting idea...

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »
I get connected automatically on start-up of my laptop and PC.

I got enough that starts automatically.. and hate when programs assume I want to always run them and slow down my computer just to run something I barely use. ;) my opinion.

Nicholas Cavacini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:48:59 AM »
Overall, I think its a good idea to get more camaraderie between ARTCCs. I'm not completely sure if it is the best way to accomplish it but I think we do need a way to increase communication between ARTCCs at the controller level.