stupid noob questions

Johnathan Clayborn

• Members
    • View Profile
stupid noob questions
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm totally new to all of this. I've decided to get some ATC time on VATSIM because I want to study for my actual Private Pilot's License and I think this will give me a much better understanding of what's happening at airports in general (knowing that some things are slightly different due to being a sim). I've studied for the S1 test, but I only get 78% the first time because there were several questions not covered in the CBTs at all.

But, I've also downloaded VRC and was able to connect it to my VATSIM login....and now I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. Other sites are talking about needing to download other resources and POF or area files, but then some places are saying I can't see those files until after I pass the S1 exam. So, I'm really not sure what I'm doing at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll edit this to say that I found the files for my local ARTCC, but I have no idea which files I need to install. (https://www.zabartcc.org/files).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:53:13 AM by Johnathan Clayborn »

Clay Brock

• ZHU Staff
    • View Profile
Re: stupid noob questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
Someone might need to back me up on this, but once you've taken and passed the Basic/S1 test in the exam center, you should be prompted to choose a facility/ARTCC. Once you submit a request to join that facility, you should get an email from them with more info regarding training and what to do next.

I hope this info helps and is still accurate. Good Luck!
Clay Brock (CB) - 1299667

Johnathan Clayborn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »
Okay, maybe that's it then. I didn't pass the test yet. I only got a 78%. There were a lot of questions in the test that weren't covered at all in the CBT modules.

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »
The basic information required for any and all questions in the exams are covered in either the CBT or the 7110.65. You may need to think about what you have read to arrive at the correct answer however.

Once you pass the basic/S1 exam you can select your initial facility. Good luck!
VATUSA Deputy Director Emeritus
Former ZDC ATM, DATM, TA & WM
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 5

Johnathan Clayborn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
The basic information required for any and all questions in the exams are covered in either the CBT or the 7110.65. You may need to think about what you have read to arrive at the correct answer however.

Once you pass the basic/S1 exam you can select your initial facility. Good luck!

That seems to be the problem. I didn't the link for the 7110.65. I assume that's an FAA document. That would explain why there were questions I'd never seen before. I'll pull that up and review it.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 09:25:54 AM »
That seems to be the problem. I didn't the link for the 7110.65. I assume that's an FAA document. That would explain why there were questions I'd never seen before. I'll pull that up and review it.
Generally a quick google search will bring up information online, just make sure to check you sources to ensure that they are correct. https://www.cfinotebook.net/notebook/cfi-notebook This tends to be a very good resource to find information and conduct research.
Jordan Rash
Deputy Air Traffic Manager
Anchorage ARTCC

Johnathan Clayborn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
Thanks, Jordan. That site is really helpful!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:51:47 AM by Johnathan Clayborn »

Alia Albert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »
Not stupid at all, I actually was wondering the same, thanks for ask :D