need help where to go/next steps

Adam Poulter

• Members
    • View Profile
need help where to go/next steps
« on: September 13, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
Hi all,

Brand new here. I joined VATUSA, and it said I had to go to CBT and do S1 test. Ok cool. But the video makes it seem like you have to have already joined a sector, so for the heck of it I went to my local sector KC ARTCC.... I see not only no files to download, but no way to join it. No option to join at all. Ok, nothing is online either, maybe its not accepting? So I go to Seattle, where I'm from, and going to be moving back to. Tada, Files... but I still see no way to join.

What do I do here? Am I supposed to be joining an ARTCC sector now? Can I just use whatever sector files to start? I have a CPSEL and CFII and IGI certifications, and these sites are about as clear as mud for new people :( Can someone please help I would love to start the ATC training lol.

Edit: I see in the welcome email that it says I have to complete training to choose an ARTCC... but the very first thing in that training is a video telling you "navigate to the ZDC website that you would have received in an email..." I didn't get an email from any sector, much less ZDC.

A bit confused.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:34:24 PM by Adam Poulter »

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Re: need help where to go/next steps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »
Hello Adam. First let me welcome you to VATUSA. I hope you find great enjoyment in your time here. But on to the question at hand, might I suggest following the directions received thus far.. Edit: I see in the welcome email that it says I have to complete training to choose an ARTCC. Don't stop at the first lesson, complete the training. You must have completed the training and taken the S1 Basic ATC exam in order to select your initial ARTCC. The lesson you are referring to is likely an example, not necessarily an instruction to go do something. I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing you out and on the scopes soon.
David Stone

Adam Poulter

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: need help where to go/next steps
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »
Thank you David. I did basically kinda skip the first video and started on basics of ATC and now weather. To me it seems like that video really needs to be the first thing on block 2 maybe? Setting up your software for a specific ARTCC when you can't even get into one until after the first block is done, is a bit confusing.

Thanks again, I hope this all does turn out as entertaining as I hope.