How do you read?

Stephen O'Hara

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:47:47 AM »
It is a phrase that I hear almost as often as "Traffic Traffic Decend decend"   but is it an acceptable phrase for controllers to use?

Normally when I fly I do be Voice receive  and 7 out of every 10 controllers  starts the conversation asking "How do I read"

I googled "How do I read 7110.65" hoping the phrase would show up,  but it probably wasn't my brightest idea

But in all seriousness,  is this just one of those "Vatsimisms"    Would their be a better way to ask pilots?  and where do Controllers get the phrase from???
Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
I think it's a VATSIMism... sometimes pilots put /R and aren't actually capable of it. It's just to check. If we wanted to get technical, I guess the best way to say it would be "verify that you can receive voice".
Ryan Geckler - GK
VATUSA9 | Traffic Management Unit Director
Former VATUSA3 | Division Training Director
Minneapolis ARTCC | RW Miami ARTCC

Jeffrey Jaynes

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
I've heard ATC in real life say... "How to you hear my radio?" I'm not sure if that's in the 7110.65 either, but sometimes the document doesn't cover every possibility.

JJ
Jeff Jaynes, DATM
Chicago ARTCC

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
"How do you read" when you file /R/ is the result of people filing /R/ and sometimes /V/ when they actually meant to file /T/. /R/ pilots sometimes send a text, to which ATC responds on voice, and then 5 minutes later the same pilot sends another text, usually something like "?????" Sometimes we have to check to make sure you're really able to receive voice as it says in the flight plan remarks.

Kenneth Bambach

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »
I'll usually ask a /R or /T on first call up with a text question of "Do you rx voice comms".  It always seems to be a month of Sunday's before the pilot will respond back. A large percentage will respond back with something like "I do not have a microphone", which still does not answer the question.....argh!!
Ken Bambach
ZMA ATM

Stephen O'Hara

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
Interesting,  but does anyone know where the term originated from?
Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
How do you read?
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »
It is standard ICAO terminology.  It has been used by radiotelephone operators (commercial, professional and amateur) for decades.  Gotta put the kids to bed, but a quick look here shows some standard radiotelephony terms:  http://www.wrrl.org/operating/icao_radiotelephony.htm
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Stephen O'Hara

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 05:10:48 AM »
Quote from: Don Desfosse
It is standard ICAO terminology.  It has been used by radiotelephone operators (commercial, professional and amateur) for decades.  Gotta put the kids to bed, but a quick look here shows some standard radiotelephony terms:  http://www.wrrl.org/operating/icao_radiotelephony.htm

Thanks Don!

Bob Carmona

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »
Q: How do I read?
A: Not worth a crap without reading glasses.
Bob Carmona
Division Conflict Resolution Manager
VATUSA

Scott DeWoody

• Members
    • View Profile
How do you read?
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:40:36 AM »
Quote from: Bob Carmona
Q: How do I read?
A: Not worth a crap without reading glasses.

Even with glasses the letters have to be BOLD and at least 48 font for you to be able to read Bob.
Scott DeWoody