Coming Back to VATUSA after 2 years - ADVICE NEEDED

Paul Gugliotta

• Members
    • View Profile
Coming Back to VATUSA after 2 years - ADVICE NEEDED
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
I fly every day but for the last 2 years I haven't flown with you guys and want to get back into it.
I see I have v-pilot on my computer and started it up and successfully did a radio check with ATC.  So I am good??
Is V-pilot a good choice to communicate with ATC?  ? I see references to TEAMSPEAK (not familar with that)

I took the test here and failed.  very tricky questions (like calm wind in <3 kts versus 3 kts or less).  So because I failed, canI still fly.  What are the next steps.  I don't see a way to re-take it.

Anything else I need to know?  Using latest P3D and PMDG planes - full voice capable. (I am not a pilot)

Nolan Danziger

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Back to VATUSA after 2 years - ADVICE NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
Lots of questions here, so I'll try to answer them one by one.

Is V-pilot a good choice to communicate with ATC?

Yes, vPilot is the way to go if you're flying on the P3D platform. Teamspeak on the other hand is used for coordination with other controllers and for hanging out with the members of the ARTCC that you've chosen. Some ARTCCs have chosen to move to Discord as well. The ARTCC that you choose will send you a welcome email or message of some sort that will have details regarding their specific Discord or Teamspeak.

So because I failed, canI still fly.  What are the next steps.

Yes, flying and controlling are essentially two different operations. Paul the pilot != Paul the controller. You can still fly, you just have to wait until the basic exam is reassigned to take it again. On your next attempt, read the questions very carefully. Some of them are not always the easiest to decipher  ;D. Take your time, read slow, and use your resources.
Zoomer 😎

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
And, just in case you were not aware, the exam is only for student controllers.  There is currently no test required for you to fly on the network.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Paul Gugliotta

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
OK thanks, I was stressing about the exam.  I have one final question. 
On the equipment, I have the list of equipment and codes - but honestly I can't decipher between some of them.  If I am flying a Boeing 777, 747-8, or a 787 what is the equipment that most likely will I have and the Code?  I used /W or /H - not knowing if that IS CORRECT.  I always list it in the proper section and sometimes Clearance will ask me what equipment I have on board?  My answer is "Ahh, I don't know  - it's a 777?"  I am obviously not a pilot, but an avid simmer with 15 years of flying the Boeings, but the exact nuances of the transponder codes and features are a bit advanced for me.

Fady Botros

• Members
    • View Profile
Fady Botros
ZMA Air Traffic Manager

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »
Paul, as for the Transponder Equipment Code, a little bit about the info displayed on the list. So you will notice the table is separated into two areas, RVSM and No RVSM. This stands for Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum. For pilots flying on VATSIM, all pilots are considered to be RVSM capable/certified. So that leaves us with the second and third columns, Navigation Capability and Transponder Capability. GNSS stands for Global Navigation Satellite System, so basically a GPS. This can be the default MSFS GPS unit or maybe an Flight Management System (FMS). But the reason you see "RNAV, No GNSS" and "GNSS" is because some aircraft navigation systems use an Inertial Reference System to provide location information to the FMS instead of GPS inputs, such as some of the older aircraft (i.e.; B752). So it comes down to knowing your aircraft and what systems are installed. Aircraft who file with a /L or /Z are expected to be able to navigate to RNAV fixes whereas an aircraft with INS (/W) would not. And then, in addition to what equipment is installed in your aircraft, you have to factor in how current the information (AIRAC Data) is in the GPS or FMS to have all the waypoints listed in a given Arrival (STAR) or Departure (SID) procedure. If you don't have a current AIRAC Data set you may not be able to fly a RNAV procedure, in which case you may need to file non-RNAV.
So the basic Equipment Suffix Codes you will file are /L, /Z and /W when flying the heavy metal, and maybe /A or /I if you are in a Cessna 172. Anything in column 3 next to "No Transponder" or "Transponder with no Mode C" will not be used on VATSIM since all pilots are required to squawk Mode C while airborne and when requested by ATC.
I hope this helps but ask more questions if you have them.
David Stone

Paul Gugliotta

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »
David, great reply.
From your response you say the codes you file are /L, /z. and /w.  So lets be specific. You must pick one code, you can't pick all three /L, /Z and /W at the same time - that is a contradiction.

I am sure a Boeing 777 uses an IRS system as I align the IRI's before each flight.  But does it have a GPS as well as a back up?  Looking at the  list and your response, it appears it seems a 777 and 747-8 is /L.  Am I correct?

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
Yes, you are correct, the T7 would file /L.
David Stone

Paul Gugliotta

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
Thanks David!  I appreciate you for helping me learn.  I think I am ready fly again with VATUSA.