Mouse VS Joystick

Kadin Ritchie

• Members
    • View Profile
Mouse VS Joystick
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:34:12 PM »
I have flown on Vatsim for about a week now. I use to fly with a mouse. The mouse hard at first but I got better as i went.
Yesterday I purchased the Logitech extreme 3D pro. And it is amazing i have all ready flown better with it taxing is better and the joystick is awesome! When my friends ask if they should get FSX I say only get it if you can also get a joysticj because mouse it the worst flying experience on FSX.

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
Re: Mouse VS Joystick
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
Totally agree! The joystick or (personally) yoke definitely adds a major element of realism to online flying. I definitely wouldn't recommend anything other than that.

Benjamin Kidsom

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 02:33:55 AM »
Both are hard to get used too. From my experience mouse was easier than my joystick. But after several  flights I got used to the joystick.

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »
When flying by keyboard, it's important to note that the keyboard input isn't set up so that pushing a button slams on full aileron or elevator. The arrow buttons attempt to simulate smooth, fine-tuned stick movement by moving the virtual control stick slightly in the direction of the arrow-press. The problem with this is that you lose the easy ability to center your controls by letting them go, or more properly, by letting their self-centering forces guide your hand back to center as you reduce the force your hand is putting on the stick. On a keyboard, a couple button presses to the right will apply a slight amount of right aileron; to return to neutral, you actually have to press the left arrow button an equal number of times and for equal duration. Therefore, the left arrow button cannot be properly said to apply left aileron to the aircraft -- it reduces the amount of right aileron applied until returning to center, then applies left aileron.

Do you see how quickly that gets complicated? Believe me, when you get a few flight hours in and realize that maintaning a constant pitch does NOT mean maintaining a constant elevator angle; or that maintaining a certain bank angle requires NOT constant aileron pressure, NOT neutral ailerons, but something in between -- you'll be dying for that joystick, because you'll be lost in a constant game of arrow-presses trying to figure out whether your stick is centered, slightly right, slightly left, or who-knows-where.

Simulators do attempt to compensate for this lack of personal situational awareness by adding a meter of some sort to the cockpit gauges, so the keyboard pilot can see the virtual position of his or her control stick relative to neutral. But this is just one more set of gauges you need to watch, and as you'll see as you learn flying, a pilot already has plenty to watch and understand in the cockpit without having to scan one more set of gauges to figure out where his or her "virtual hand" supposedly is.

It is also possible to fly via mouse; but, because you will also need the mouse to look around and manipulate other controls and switches, that can get messy pretty quickly as well. Plus you still lack the ability to use stick pressure to center your controls.

All that being said -- I definitely understand how reluctant one can be about spending money on a new hobby, especially one which does sometimes have a reputation for being one that you can pour hundreds of dollars into if you want. But you can also get a lot of enjoyment out of it for ONLY the cost of the software and a cheap, $20 joystick. You're much less likely to get frustrated and quit if you make that rather modest investment. Many quality addons (scenery, aircraft, weather modules, and other tools) can be found for free, created by other avid sim-flyers for the love of the hobby. Then later you can decide whether or how much more money to spend on something more high-end -- or not.