Pilot Trainig

Scott Rothschild

• Members
    • View Profile
Pilot Trainig
« on: July 03, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
I've been flying offline for a while, but now I want to take my simulation experience to the next level by flying online on VATSIM. However, I would like some training so that I don't screw everything up for others flying. Also, I do not know who to contact regarding this matter. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Tomas Hansson

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Trainig
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »
Hi Scott,

There are a large number of ATOs that provide pilot training. You can view them all at https://ptd.vatsim.net. While the majority of them are affiliated with a particular ARTCC/FIR or Virtual Airline, some are independent. I am sure you will find one that fits your needs.

--
Tomas Hansson
Pilot Instructor, www.vatstar.com
CZVR Chief

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Trainig
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »
Hi Scott, and welcome to VATSIM! In addition to the suggestion provided by Tomas and as an initial intro to what's expected, you can check out the Pilot Resource Centre on the VATSIM website at https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre. This page covers the basics about flying on the network. You can also log on at an airport with ATC currently online, preferably where there is also some traffic, and just sit on the ramp and listen on frequency to get an idea about what information you should you need to keep available for reference.
There are a few different sites where you can view the Navigation plates/charts for flight planning purposes as well, i.e. Skyvector.com, AirNav.com, vroute.net, just to name a few.
And lastly, sometimes when ATC covering the airport you are at has time available (low traffic volume), they will be glad to offer some assistance when work load permits.
At any rate, glad to have you as a member of the VATSIM family and I hope you find many hours of enjoyment with the hobby.