Thanks To KZAB For Some Wonderful ATC!

Marc Rioux

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks To KZAB For Some Wonderful ATC!
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »
Hello everybody! I would just like to thank the Albuquerque FIR for some wonderful ATC controlling this afternoon! I would post this on the ZAB forums, but I can't register because it gives me an error. Oh well. Anyways, I just want to thank in particular the Center controller who was also an instructor for the FIR because it showed it as I1 in the controller details. He was incredibly flexible with when I encountered a microphone and speaker problem shortly after takeoff. He told me to just do my own thing until arrival. That made me feel quite relieved as not being able to be situationally aware can be dangerous. When he told me to descend, I was too high. So I requested a hold to lose altitude. He said it would be okay to hold in my current position and report when I was ready for approach. And believe me, I was getting stressed too, practically dropping like a rock from 32000 to 11000 overhead the airfield whilst having problems with my equipment and running a Twitch Livestream all at the same time. Thankfully, I lost my altitude, the controller generously allowed me an extended downwind, and finally, guided me onto final approach to land on runway 26 at Albuquerque. On top of his help getting me to the airport safely, I also loved his humor in the frequency chat as well such as "How are ya doing captain?" You don't see that from very many controllers these days. It doesn't surprise me how he is already I1 rated and can do all airfields. His students should be grateful to be taught by him. I hope anyone reading this understands by now that I am really cheerful and giving lots of praise, because he deserves it. Well done! Will come back again in the future, love being pleasantly surprised. :) Have a nice day!

Matt Bozwood-Davies

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks To KZAB For Some Wonderful ATC!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:29:37 AM »
ZAB have a way to provide ARTCC feedback, although it will be seen on here, best to provide it on their website aswell: http://www.zabartcc.org/a_feedback.php

Marc Rioux

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
ZAB have a way to provide ARTCC feedback, although it will be seen on here, best to provide it on their website aswell: http://www.zabartcc.org/a_feedback.php
Thanks! I'll post this on there then.

Alexandra Robison

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »
Marc-

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. Did you by any chance catch the name of the controller you were talking with? I'd love to pass on the kind words.

Either way, thanks for flying ZAB, and we hope to see you again real soon!

~II

Marc Rioux

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
If memory serves, I believe it was Christopher Kahl. He was an I1 rated controller, and had a deep, male voice on the frequency. Sorry if my description doesn't help much, but after looking at your staff list, Chris' name was the most familiar out of all of them. If you could ask him if he was controlling around 5 PM Eastern Time (3 PM Mountain Time) on Saturday, February 20th, then we'll know who the controller was. That was the time I was in his airspace and landing in Albuquerque. I also posted my previous post on the KZAB ARTCC feedback page as well as Matt told me to do to ensure you guys got the feedback. Let me know if it was him and if he receives the feedback.

Christopher Kahl

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://zabartcc.org
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
I would love to take credit for this, but I've never called anyone captain on frequency in my life and we have one Instructor who routinely does.  After comparing stats for that day, assuming you were flying as SWA568 KPHX-KABQ, you were flying with Jim Covert.  We'll pass along your compliments!

And thanks for the honorable mention! :-)

Marc Rioux

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »
I would love to take credit for this, but I've never called anyone captain on frequency in my life and we have one Instructor who routinely does.  After comparing stats for that day, assuming you were flying as SWA568 KPHX-KABQ, you were flying with Jim Covert.  We'll pass along your compliments!

And thanks for the honorable mention! :-)

Ah, it was Jim Covert! Thanks for clarifying! You got the callsign right as well! :) I think after Jim though, another controller came online as ABQ_CTR in the evening and maybe Jim had already logged offline. Which means, when I looked on VAT-Spy to try and obtain the controllers name later that evening, it could have been Chris instead of Jim because it was after the controllers switched. Although, I may be wrong about that too haha. Sorry for not giving credit to the right person. However, I'm sure all of you guys are great controllers and probably try to teach the other controllers the same good traits as well. Have a nice day!

Zachary Beard

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:23:11 PM »
Jim's a great guy. Glad you got to fly with him and have such a good experience. See you on the network!