Requiring some help.

Matthew Taylor

• Members
    • View Profile
Requiring some help.
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:05:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've had a VATSIM account for a while now, but haven't been using it. I just got back into VATSIM, and I am looking at being an ATC. I know that by having a default account on VATSIM I am allowed to observe. How exactly do I do that? Do I just get on the ts and sit there and listen? I'm just a bit overwhelmed with new stuff at the moment, sorry for all the questions.

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Requiring some help.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
Do I just get on the ts and sit there and listen?
You could, but at most you'd only hear controller coordination and just general banter. (In fact, if the controllers prefer to use other means of voice coordination, such as VRC's built-in intercom system, then you wouldn't even hear that.)

Instead, you'll likely want to download an ATC client (VRC is a popular choice throughout VATUSA), download the sector file(s) from the ARTCC(s) you'd like to observe, and connect to the network as an observer. Within VRC, you can retrieve controller information to determine the voice server and channel a given controller is using and use that to listen in on the frequency.

Matthew Campbell

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Requiring some help.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've had a VATSIM account for a while now, but haven't been using it. I just got back into VATSIM, and I am looking at being an ATC. I know that by having a default account on VATSIM I am allowed to observe. How exactly do I do that? Do I just get on the ts and sit there and listen? I'm just a bit overwhelmed with new stuff at the moment, sorry for all the questions.
Hi Matthew,
Some Quick Tips For you Would to be to Select a ARTCC there is a list of them at the Bottom of the Vatusa Webpage.
Once you have chosen your Artcc The ATM or DATM will send you a email with a Welcome Letter along with some basics things about the ARTCC after that point any Mentor or Instructor or any Memember within the Artcc i am sure would be very willing to help you setup the VRC Client which can be Downloaded Here-http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/

Good Luck Matthew!