Using vPilot with FSX:SE

Chad Schrieber

• Members
    • View Profile
Using vPilot with FSX:SE
« on: October 19, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
Hello,

I'm finding that when I open vPilot then attempt to go back into FSX, more often than not it will not exactly re-open for me.  My controller will work, but the mouse won't, and as soon as I click, it minimizes the FSX window.  I've figured out that if I repeat the process 2-3 times, I eventually can get it to "stick," if I click my secondary monitor, then the main, then press 'P' to pause, then press it again to unpause.  At that point, about 75% of the time, I can once again use the sim.

Also, vPilot simply does not pick up my "click to talk" at all when FSX is not minimized.  That, combined with the inability to reliably get back into FSX when I alt-tab to it....well, it has me worried.

I tried FSX both full screen (it uses both my screens--I have 2), and I also tried "windowed" by pressing alt-enter.  Effectively same result both times.  vPilot would not respond to my CTT button, and FSX would get weird.

I've got a beefy machine, and a reasonably beefy (about 2 years old) graphics card.  I don't think I'm running into problems due to those kinds of things.  Guessing it's a configuration issue, and hoping someone has some experience with something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Chad Schrieber

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Using vPilot with FSX:SE
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
Thanks to the help of MSP Center, I think I got this sorted out.

The problem:  I'm an idiot.

Well, that's probably not fair.  I was using a keyboard key for Push to Talk.  It felt convenient at the time.  It would work when vPilot had focus, but as soon as it lost focus, it disappeared.  I changed the PTT to a joystick button, and all seems to be working fine now.

Now, I just need to work on hearing what ATC is saying...had a lot of trouble with clarity.  That's probably on me, though.

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
Thanks to the help of MSP Center, I think I got this sorted out.

The problem:  I'm an idiot.

Well, that's probably not fair.  I was using a keyboard key for Push to Talk.  It felt convenient at the time.  It would work when vPilot had focus, but as soon as it lost focus, it disappeared.  I changed the PTT to a joystick button, and all seems to be working fine now.

Now, I just need to work on hearing what ATC is saying...had a lot of trouble with clarity.  That's probably on me, though.

Run EVERYTHING as an admin, and the problem should not reoccur, even with a keyboard key.  Best of luck.  :)
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
Glad you got it working.  Just a suggestion -- take a quick breeze through the vPilot FAQ and Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting Guide.  It would have answered your question on this issue (and answers a lot of other questions/issues).
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Chad Schrieber

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
Will Do!